1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 sxt cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:41 AM
buffalocalzone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 sxt cranks but no start

Good day my fellow Durango owners- I am HOPING and praying that I do not need a new fuel pump since it is located above the gas tank!- this morning- my 2003 Durango SXT fired right up as it always has- stopped for coffee for 2 minutes came back out and just cranks cranks and cranks- long story short I had to leave it at the store and get to work,- when I get off I will see about getting it home

Question: I did not hear the Fuel pump (that humming) when I turned the key before full, ignition- is it POSSIBLE this"" could " be caused by a relay or a bad coil that has oil in it and is not getting spark? or am I doomed to take it to a mechanic? I am hoping it is one of the 2 lesser cheaper parts but since I am not hearing the fuel pump hummm when I turn the key I am fearing the worst

any suggestions or has anyone had this issue and found a cheap fix? greatly GREATLY appreciate any feedback- thanks in adavance- look forward to hearing from someone

Old 01-23-2018, 07:57 AM
buffalocalzone
Rookie

I do not KNOW if this has anything to do with it ( I cannot imagine why) but just in case- not even 3 days ago I replaced my Electric Auxiliary water pump as it was leaking out all my coolant- just though I should add that as the truck has been running fine Forever( until today) thanks again for any advise

Old 01-24-2018, 06:52 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

checking the fuel pump is pretty easy with a pressure gauge at the fuel rail, if you dont have pressure you have to determine if the fuel pump is bad or if the power relay is bad, iirc the relay is <$10 so i would start by replacing that and see what happens, although the location of the relay is pretty clean as far as getting oil/water in it to cause these problems.

Not knowing which engine is in the truck its hard to comment on the coil question, the 4.7 (most common engine for 2003) has one each plug so a single coil going bad shouldnt cause a no start condition (it will run rough down a cylinder, but should start). However a bad cam or crank sensor can cause a no start since the computer wont know when to fire the coils.

You can try banging on the bottom of the tank to see if that will get the fuel pump to prime up and off you go, its just an electric motor and if its on its way out it could be stuck in a dead spot, get it spinning and you may get another ride or more out of it.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:35 AM
buffalocalzone
Rookie

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
checking the fuel pump is pretty easy with a pressure gauge at the fuel rail, if you dont have pressure you have to determine if the fuel pump is bad or if the power relay is bad, iirc the relay is <$10 so i would start by replacing that and see what happens, although the location of the relay is pretty clean as far as getting oil/water in it to cause these problems.

Not knowing which engine is in the truck its hard to comment on the coil question, the 4.7 (most common engine for 2003) has one each plug so a single coil going bad shouldnt cause a no start condition (it will run rough down a cylinder, but should start). However a bad cam or crank sensor can cause a no start since the computer wont know when to fire the coils.

You can try banging on the bottom of the tank to see if that will get the fuel pump to prime up and off you go, its just an electric motor and if its on its way out it could be stuck in a dead spot, get it spinning and you may get another ride or more out of it.
Thank you!! Yes it is a 4.7 and I just replaced all the spark plugs just for the hell of it because I did an oil change and flushed radiator after putting in New electric auxiliary water pumpthis weekend before it died for the 1st time Ever!! and changed the fuel pump relay,,,,, it’s still not cranking but it still will not turn over ,, only when I blew starting fluid into the air intake it started for ‘just a second or so’ and then it shut off I’m gonna try to trick a banging on the gas tank,,,, I could change the fuel pump myself if it wasn’t for Durango putting them on top of the tank!!! thanks for the advice !!will let you know how it goes hope that trick works !!!

Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 PM
buffalocalzone
Rookie

Sorry dumb questionI know but should I be banging on the gas tank while someone else is trying to turn the truck over I’m guessing yes trying to do this alone and get we going, I check the gas cap off and a bunch of pressure came out if that is of any indication and I swear I hear that humming when I turn the key for the fuel pump

Old 01-25-2018, 07:02 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the starter fluid trick confirms tha tyou have spark,(and obviously air) so you have a fuel delivery problem for sure, yes in order to do this trick you need 2 people, it works bc it can bounce the electric motor a bit to make contact and get it running, then they tend to stay running until they get shut down again, the pump sits on the bottom of the tank and the impact is transmitted through to the pump.

unfortunately all vehicles have fuel pump access through the top of the tank, its the easiest way to prevent the tank from leaking through the fuel pump access hatch, also frequently the hardest spot to get to, a shop would drop the tank to change the pump.

the pressure in the tank is fine, the evap system is there to catch those vapors and has a over-pressure relief valve so that it will relieve that pressure before it gets to a dangerous level.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 AM
buffalocalzone
Rookie

the starter fluid trick confirms tha tyou have spark,(and obviously air) so you have a fuel delivery problem for sure, yes in order to do this trick you need 2 people, it works bc it can bounce the electric motor a bit to make contact and get it running, then they tend to stay running until they get shut down again, the pump sits on the bottom of the tank and the impact is transmitted through to the pump.

unfortunately all vehicles have fuel pump access through the top of the tank, its the easiest way to prevent the tank from leaking through the fuel pump access hatch, also frequently the hardest spot to get to, a shop would drop the tank to change the pump.

the pressure in the tank is fine, the evap system is there to catch those vapors and has a over-pressure relief valve so that it will relieve that pressure before it gets to a dangerous level.
Thank you! At least I know 2 of the 3 needed are working was hoping not fuel pump but at least now I can try and do that trick and see if I can get a little more out of her before getting into the labor of dropping the tank thank you so much for the response let you know and forum how it goes

Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 PM
buffalocalzone
Rookie

Sorry ! I’ve been researching the Internet for the last 48 hours I seriously don’t think it’s the fuel pump but I am going to have a friend come by later but I noticed could possibly be my camshaft sensor ? I do not have a diagnostic tool nor the means to buy one but this Durango has been running great every single day for the last eight years never an issue never a stall out and I go to work every day as usual turn it off grab some coffee come back out and it just cranks doesn’t turn over is it possible is the camshaft sensor and if so if I borrow someone’s diagnostic scanner with that let me know as well ? I’m just puzzled this truck runs like it did the day I bought it because I’ve always maintained it and just out of the blue just stop starting is the camshaft sensor a possibility is that would be a lot cheaper than a feel pump and I hear that humming that the pump is priming (though I still haven’t banged on the tank with someone else yet)) i’m just wondering if the sudden not starting after starting every day for so long as possible the camshaft sensor ? Appreciate your time and all your suggestions

Old 01-27-2018, 10:31 AM
buffalocalzone
Rookie

Originally Posted by buffalocalzone
Sorry ! I’ve been researching the Internet for the last 48 hours I seriously don’t think it’s the fuel pump but I am going to have a friend come by later but I noticed could possibly be my camshaft sensor ? I do not have a diagnostic tool nor the means to buy one but this Durango has been running great every single day for the last eight years never an issue never a stall out and I go to work every day as usual turn it off grab some coffee come back out and it just cranks doesn’t turn over is it possible is the camshaft sensor and if so if I borrow someone’s diagnostic scanner with that let me know as well ? I’m just puzzled this truck runs like it did the day I bought it because I’ve always maintained it and just out of the blue just stop starting is the camshaft sensor a possibility is that would be a lot cheaper than a feel pump and I hear that humming that the pump is priming (though I still haven’t banged on the tank with someone else yet)) i’m just wondering if the sudden not starting after starting every day for so long as possible the camshaft sensor ? Appreciate your time and all your suggestions
I cannot find any forum or photos anywhere of where the notorious “shrader valve” is so I can do a pressure test before I drop my tank anyone have a link or video for this shrader valve location ? 4.7 2003 Durango thank you in advance if you do!

Old 01-27-2018, 12:19 PM
buffalocalzone
Rookie

Originally Posted by buffalocalzone
I cannot find any forum or photos anywhere of where the notorious “shrader valve” is so I can do a pressure test before I drop my tank anyone have a link or video for this shrader valve location ? 4.7 2003 Durango thank you in advance if you do!
Just an update for anyone having this issue I tried the check banging on the gas tank heard the fuel pump priming buddy turn the car over it started is now running but wants to stall out after I just changed all eight spark plugs so not sure if it is due to spark lack of fuel or air since I cleaned out the intake I changed out all the plugs change the fuel pump relay now it’s starting but wants to stall and less I keep my foot on the pedal Going to get it to an auto store to run a code check could be the camshaft sensor or I didn’t put a spark plug and right will keep everyone posted in case you were having the same issue

Quick Reply: 2003 sxt cranks but no start