1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

stalling out and wont stay running unless on throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 10:40 PM
nathan1009
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling out and wont stay running unless on throttle

i have a 2000 durango and the other day it wouldnt start and stay running unless i gave it some throttle. i would put it into gear and it would stall out. i drove it to and from work which is like 25 miles from me, mostly highway but i stayed on the throttle and break while stopped.. let it sit for a day without running and now it runs without me having to be on the throttle and break, but when i go to a dead stop it almost dies on me. Help please. thank you in advance

Old 02-07-2018, 11:06 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Battery or IAC. All over the forums if you search.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:02 PM
coogrrr
Thumbs up Totally IAC

Originally Posted by that_guy
Battery or IAC. All over the forums if you search.
ange IAC

What he said... I have owned 5 1st gen durango's and currently own a 2000 R/T and my project 2001 R/T (build thread comming soon!) YES IAC on everyone of the damn beasts. I keep a spare now just becuase I know the damn thing is going to fail. The spare and the one in each truck are lifetime gurantee units. So when it goes out I swap in the spare to get running normal. Then I take the dead one in when I have time and swap it for a new one (love to work the retailers at least in this one little way) This way I am never without a spare and never worried about when the IAC dies! They are about $35US for a lifetime one so shop around.

Coog

Old 02-11-2018, 07:31 PM
nathan1009

Originally Posted by coogrrr
ange IAC

What he said... I have owned 5 1st gen durango's and currently own a 2000 R/T and my project 2001 R/T (build thread comming soon!) YES IAC on everyone of the damn beasts. I keep a spare now just becuase I know the damn thing is going to fail. The spare and the one in each truck are lifetime gurantee units. So when it goes out I swap in the spare to get running normal. Then I take the dead one in when I have time and swap it for a new one (love to work the retailers at least in this one little way) This way I am never without a spare and never worried about when the IAC dies! They are about $35US for a lifetime one so shop around.

Coog
is the IAC hard to replace? can i do it by myself? Is there alot to take off to get to it? or?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

What engine?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 PM
nathan1009

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What engine?
5.2 magnum

Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

In that case, it's easy. If you are a contortionist, you can do it on the motor. I don't recommend that though.... FAR easier to pull the throttle body, and do it on a bench. There's only two torx screws that old the IAC in place. So grab a new IAC, (preferably from the dealer, yeah, I know, they are more expensive there, but, they actually WORK, which is more than I can say about the aftermarket fellers I have experienced.......) a couple cans of brake, or carb cleaner, throttle body gasket, and the a set of torx drivers, if you don't already have 'em.

To pull the throttle body, disconnect battery, remove the throttle cable, TV cable, and cruise cable. (make note of which goes where, but, I think the mounts are different, so, it won't let you screw it up.) Disconnect the electrical connectors for the IAC, (on the back of the throttle body) TPS, (drivers side) and MAP. (in front.) There may be a vacuum line connected at the front as well, disconnect that too. Then it's just four bolts, and the throttle body comes off. Take out the two screws that hold the IAC in place, give it a bit of a twist, and it will come right out. At this point, CLEAN EVERYTHING. Pay special attention to the IAC bore. Clean that out really well. Then, just put it all back together. (don't forget to hook the battery back up.)

Then, when it's time to start it for the first time, turn the key to "On", not start, count to 10. Don't touch ANYTHING, then start the truck. It might stall once or twice, but, it will eventually relearn the idle, and you'll be all set. Takes maybe an hour.

Quick Reply: stalling out and wont stay running unless on throttle