DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   Scraping Noise in bottom front left only when driving straight (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/41242-scraping-noise-in-bottom-front-left-only-when-driving-straight.html)

impaler90 11-30-2005 07:31 PM

Scraping Noise in bottom front left only when driving straight

Hi. I have a 1999 4wd Durango with about 95000 miles and just started hearing a strange noise. It happened a day after we had the oil changed (not sure if that has anything to do with it or just a coincidence). Had been driving for about and hour stop and go and out of the blue heard a loud scraping, noise. At first I thought it was just the road, that the muffler had fallen down and was dragging on the road or that something had gone wrong with the brakes. Checked and the muffler is fine and didn't see anything dragging. After a little while the noise went away and now I hear it intermittantly. It only seems to happen after the car has been driving for 15 or 20 minutes and goes away when turning. It does not happen when braking and because it's not constant, I don't think it's the brakes. It's very strange. Has this happened to anyone else or anyone have any idea what it might be?

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

rnack1 12-02-2005 12:04 AM

RE: Scraping Noise in bottom front left only when driving straight

Wow! That would drive me nuts. Any idea on a localized area, for us to go on. Rear? Front? Drivers or Passenger Side? Right now all I can suggest is to go underneath and do a visual. Maybe try to move a few things around to see if they are loose.

Kensai 12-02-2005 02:59 PM

Have you checked the brakes? Make sure the pads is not scraping against the rotor? Sometimes it can touch the rotor when not braking and make the noise but when you apply the brakes, it completely makes contact with rotor and noise goes away. Or maybe the rotor is starting to warp causing the noise as well.

Durango_USMC 12-03-2005 04:10 PM

I had soem squeaking and scraping noise not too long ago, fairly similiar to what you're describing turned out to be U-Joints.

hydrashocker 12-04-2005 01:28 PM

It could be one of your dust covers by your front brake rotors rubbing against your rotor!

dodge822 02-01-2010 06:41 PM

98 dodge dakota

I posted here as it is simmiler to my problem.

I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota, it is the 3.9L 2wd, i added some weight to the box for traction in the winter, and now im getting a periodic scrapping type sound out of the front end, drivers side, sounds like im draggin something, and i can feel it in the floor, i went underneith and looked around, and tried to move a few things to see if they were loose, but no luck, any thougts>

shrpshtr325 02-01-2010 07:17 PM

holy old thread man . . .

hydrashocker 02-02-2010 12:10 AM

Could be a U-joint.