1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front Brake Line Junction/Fitting Size Question/Confusion. Please read

Old 03-21-2018, 05:35 PM
aholeinthewor1d
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Line Junction/Fitting Size Question/Confusion. Please read

2000 Durango SLT 4.7 (4x4)

Long story short blew a front brake line and I am replacing all of them with NiCopp line as well as all new fittings because they are trashed. Managed to get this bracket with 2 junction blocks off finally and cleaned it up nice.

I did a lot of searching online for days figuring out the fitting situation and looking for general tips. Just about every forum I found about Durangos or Dakotas from these years mentioned that on the bigger 3 way junction block, at least 1 of the 3 fittings was an odd size or thread compared to the other 2.

After cleaning the part up I brought it to Napa and got two M10x1 bubble flare fittings for the smaller block and three M12x1 bubble flare fittings for the bigger block.

The threads were a little dirty so I threaded new fittings in and out of each hole a few times with some PB blaster to clean them up. On the larger block at times they were a little tight threading in but nothing seemed wrong. Didn’t feel like anything was stripping or cross threaded.

As I was waiting for a flare tool to get here I kept researching and still found people mentioning the larger block used a weird fitting for at least 1 of the holes. Every forum I found people were asking what size they needed etc. So today I cleaned up the old fittings and all 3 look the same as far as threads go except 1 had a larger area to grip with a wrench..

Here are the 3 fittings from the larger junction block. It appears the threads and everything else about the 3 are identical except for the head.
Here is the larger original fitting compared to one of the new ones I purchased.

At this point I am assuming (hoping) that I am overthinking it seeing as how M12x1 fittings went into each hole but I keep reading stories online about people having a hard time with these fittings being different and more stories about brake fluid leaking from the fittings at the block. Basically I see people “thinking” they used the correct fittings and then having issues.

Does anyone know why 1 of these 3 fittings would have a larger head yet the fitting possibly be exactly the same (M12x1)? Or is the fitting actually possible different? I read some stuff about some fittings having a different thread pitch and stuff like that.

It’s snowing out so I have another day or two before I get started. Anyone with knowledge about this please chime in!!

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2018, 09:44 AM
aholeinthewor1d

Bump! Anyone with experience with these years??

Old 04-16-2018, 04:08 PM
jims
Rookie
Default Odd size

Nice condition... want to sell it :-) ? was there any part number on it that you caught ?

I think we're partially shadowing each other's project (s) by your posts but mine started as a "chain reaction affect" ... bump and leaks or breaks..

First. The Helicoil with no locktite.. I bought a kit back in the 70's or 80's for a engine repair on my Harley ( at the time ) and had a perfect fit that's been on my knuckle for years...
Just did the nicopp from the block to calipers.. ( rebuilt ) .new brake hoses .. Banjo Bolts had to be Dealer only.. rotors, cv''s , prop shaft rebuild, and so on...
The rear brakes..how did you make out ? I went new parking brake cables '02 and had (have) issues with those damn springs ( not on the road yet ) .. your picture has some other type cable.. what did you use ? I went with new shoes , but it's "floating" to rear of the vehicle instead of staying centered when I put the Drums ( new ) on.. I think it's like the cable/spring pushing the bottom of the assembly back.. BUT again I haven't had it out yet..just have to come up with front to back adjustable cable connection as the '02 is the odd duck without any replacement available..
So where was I going with this ?
Yeah. Helicoil, those Brake line fittings buy extras because they're cheap compared to finding them again.. any tips LMK
jim
​​​​

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Brake Line Junction/Fitting Size Question/Confusion. Please read