1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Can I just pull my cam off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Bobby Clary
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I just pull my cam off?

Hello all. I bought a rebuilt head for my 2000 Durango. Unfortunately the camshaft is not in the TDC position but off about a quarter turn. I know I should have checked but I wrongly assumed that "ready to install" meant the machine shop had actually set the cam at TDC. Luckily it's not hitting any valves. I can't turn it without hitting. Can I just pull the cam and reset it without bending the cam? I've done that on many cars just not sure of the outcome on this vehicle. I can slowly and evenly remove the caps but I just wanted to check here first. Thanks for any input.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:19 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for ready to install, they were. But there is no way to set the cam timing because they likely put the cam in a position where all/most of the valves were closed for safety during transport. Plus it is possible that the pulley will need to be held to keep it lined up during the install.

In theory, once you remove all the chains you should be able to get it all where it needs to be. If not, there is no secret to camshaft removal, just remember to keep everything super clean, especially the cam journals.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:38 PM
Bobby Clary
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help b1lk1! After staring at this head for way too long I'm starting to think this is the wrong cam. Head is right but if I align the cam to the timing marks the valve will be open. If I align the cam lobes to TDC the timing marks will be upside down. UUhhggg. I appreciate your input.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:03 PM
b1lk1
Veteran

I struggle to believe that they installed the wrong cam, but anything is possible.

I will watch a few videos tomorrow and post back. I technically have never done chains on this motor but I have been a mechanic for 30yrs so I hopefully can help you figure something out, especially since I'm doing this very same job this summer. I will post back tomorrow.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 AM
b1lk1
Veteran

OK, from what I have read you need to pull the rocker arms off and then line everything up. You'll need a special tool to do it, but I would think you could rent it somewhere. Once you pull all the rockers you line everything up and put the chains on. After that, install the rocker arms and turn the engine over by hand. If it does not want to turn somewhat freely then you may have an interference issue, but from what I can make out from the videos online is that your cam will be in the right position once you do this. I am not 100% positive about your cam, but the amount it needs to turn should put it where it needs to be when it is fully assembled.

MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE ENGINE BY HAND TO FEEL IF THERE WILL BE INTERFERENCE FIRST!

Quick Reply: Can I just pull my cam off?