DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   Stripped caliper bolt hole in steering knuckle Best option to fix? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/413674-stripped-caliper-bolt-hole-in-steering-knuckle-best-option-to-fix.html)

aholeinthewor1d 04-15-2018 11:08 AM

Stripped caliper bolt hole in steering knuckle Best option to fix?

So naturally when I was just about finished with a month long project of replacing all brake components on my Durango I ran into yet another issue. I was putting the second caliper on and started turning the last bolt and it did not tighten at all. Sure enough the hole in the steering knuckle was stripped out. At first I thought I would have to replace the knuckle but after a little research I see how common this is. I debated a little between using a helicoil or oversized caliper bolts and from what I read it appears the helicoil would be stronger? I ordered the M9x1.25 kit with some red high strength loctite which will be here in two days.

I’ve been watching some videos and doing some more research and I guess Helicoil actually says you shouldn’t use loctite when putting in the insert. I guess it can cause the insert to spin. For anyone who has dealt with the steering knuckle hole being stripped how did you fix it? Did you use helicoil (or another brand insert) or the oversize caliper bolts or what? If you used helicoil did you use any loctite when you put it in? Looking for the safest/strongest option. Unfortunately I don’t drive the durango every day and it tends to get neglected which is why it’s rusting apart. I can only imagine a caliper bolt coming out while driving would end bad. Thanks!

JeeperDon 04-15-2018 01:04 PM

I'd helicoil it, nothing fancy. I've used them on a lot of things over the years, even the cast engine head on my Jeep for an exhaust manifold bolt. Never had a later problem with them.

Pspklutch 04-15-2018 06:43 PM

I've done both. Very common problem on these. I have one over sized bolt in the passengers side caliper we did in a pinch. Same thing, had to order that helicoil because it's an oddball size. I prefer the helicoil method. Was easier and retains the factory bolt. I used a very small amount of blue loctite on the outside of the helicoil when I put it in. I let it sit and dry. I then used red loctite on the caliper bolt. Whether that was a good idea or not I cannot say but it has been fine for a year and a half now... so there's that

b1lk1 04-15-2018 08:36 PM

I personally would never heli-coil a caliper bolt. In my 25yrs as a mechanic I have never done it and I always changed the spindle.

I would be fine with an oversized threaded pin, but good luck finding one.

aholeinthewor1d 04-16-2018 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by b1lk1 (Post 3388096)
I personally would never heli-coil a caliper bolt. In my 25yrs as a mechanic I have never done it and I always changed the spindle.

I would be fine with an oversized threaded pin, but good luck finding one.

Yea I was hesitant at first and was going to start calling around some junkyards looking for a knuckle until I did some research and saw how dodge even posted a TSB saying to use inserts to fix the issue. These are the oversize caliper bolts but from what I read they actually don't hold that great. Some people had good luck with them but it seems most people didn't. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6751539

Pspklutch 04-16-2018 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by aholeinthewor1d
Yea I was hesitant at first and was going to start calling around some junkyards looking for a knuckle until I did some research and saw how dodge even posted a TSB saying to use inserts to fix the issue. These are the oversize caliper bolts but from what I read they actually don't hold that great. Some people had good luck with them but it seems most people didn't. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6751539

Tons of people on this forum have helicoil'd their caliper bolts. I haven't heard a single person complain about them. Not that they don't exist, but every post I've read people have had good luck doing this. It's far too easy for these bolts to strip out. I wouldn't buy a new caliper, because at some point they'll just strip out in the new one as well. Helicoil is easy, that's what I would suggest to anyone with this problem.

PS, my oversized bolt was not one that you buy for this application. I can't remember size but my dad and I checked fitment from the stock pin/caliper bolt and got just a standard long shouldered bolt that was the same diameter. Ran it down to the shoulder and marked and cut the excess off. There's plenty of room for the caliper to move all it needs and I've never had a problem besides not loctiting the thing one time. Learned my lesson with brakes. That was 4 years ago, still using that bolt today.

that_guy 04-16-2018 04:09 PM

You can buy oversize bolts, but it'll only last so long. I've never had an issue with the helicoiled ones.

b1lk1 04-16-2018 07:18 PM

I'm not trying to crap on heli-coils and I do agree that they have been used in high stress areas with great success. I am just saying that I personally don't use them in applications like this. If I could not find a replacement spindle on my personal vehicle I would likely put one on it without much thought, but I just don't like the idea of doing it to a customer's car as I am now responsible for that fix.

Pspklutch 04-17-2018 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by b1lk1
I'm not trying to crap on heli-coils and I do agree that they have been used in high stress areas with great success. I am just saying that I personally don't use them in applications like this. If I could not find a replacement spindle on my personal vehicle I would likely put one on it without much thought, but I just don't like the idea of doing it to a customer's car as I am now responsible for that fix.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to argue or anything. I know you weren't trying to put down helicoils, brakes are a big deal and a big safety component and you wouldn't want a liability that big for your work and that's completely understandable. I don't know if Dodge made these knuckle poorly and they're too soft of metal or if it's heat over time that causes it or what.

I was very hesitant as well to use a helicoil, but honestly I feel like it'll last longer than the factory threads in the knuckle. Mine stripped out when I finger tightened the bolt then put a ratchet on it and went to tighten it down, and a matter of inch pounds and it stripped. Pulled the bolt out and every thread from the knuckle was attached to the bolt, you could imagine my amazement. Then it happened again to the other side.

Again, I don't mean to argue, just sharing my own point of view to the OP :icon_beerchug: