DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   2000 Durango 4.7l with check engine light issues... (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/419308-2000-durango-4-7l-with-check-engine-light-issues.html)

sporta 11-04-2018 07:18 PM

2000 Durango 4.7l with check engine light issues...

Hey all...

Having trouble with my 2000 Durango 4.7l...It has been throwing different trouble codes for about the last month or so...mainly 1391 and 420. I fixed the 1391 by changing out both the crankshaft and camshaft position sensor and while I was in there, I not only fixed my ac issues but I replaced the PCV valve as well. All check engine lights were off afterwards. So the wife and I went to a family reunion and in 2 days put about 188 miles on the beast...not a single problem UNTIL we stopped at the grocery store to pick up a quick item and while I was sitting still idling the check engine light reared it's ugly head once again. Yep you guessed it the dreaded 420 code...from what research I have found on the boards, it is either the cat or the O2 sensor (downstream I believe). So I am looking into replacing the sensor. Why would the code trigger at idle and not under load? Am I off base thinking that the O2 sensor is the culprit here as I am not smelling any "rotten egg" odor or hearing any rattling from the exhaust? Also as it is the 420 code and not both the 420/430 it would be just the left side (bank 1) correct??

Thanks in advance

Steve

shrpshtr325 11-05-2018 06:33 AM

If your car has california emissions it will have 2 active sensor banks, if not you will only have 1 active bank.

Idk how many miles are on your truck, but he sensor would be my first thing to change out on that code as well, mostly bc its much easier and cheaper than replacing the CAT.

b1lk1 11-05-2018 07:30 AM

Converters almost never die on their own, they are almost always murdered by things being out of whack.

I'd be changing that O2 sensor before it does indeed take out the converter.

Rob94hawk 11-07-2018 11:33 PM

Ran into the same code 400 miles from home back around 9/18. Went to Autozone and picked up Mr. Gasket Cataclean cause that was the only thing I could do at that point in time.

The instructions say to pour it in when you're a 1/4 tank and at that time I was a bit lower than that.

Poured it in, reset the code by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for over 10 minutes and drove it till I was almost out of gas.

Haven't seen the code since.

Supposedly this is how it helps:

https://www.holley.com/products/cataclean/

sporta 11-07-2018 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk (Post 3417486)
Ran into the same code 400 miles from home back around 9/18. Went to Autozone and picked up Mr. Gasket Cataclean cause that was the only thing I could do at that point in time.

The instructions say to pour it in when you're a 1/4 tank and at that time I was a bit lower than that.

Poured it in, reset the code by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for over 10 minutes and drove it till I was almost out of gas.

Haven't seen the code since.

Update *** I ran a bottle of Lucas Oil Fuel Additive and Cleaner (High Mileage) and full tank of Premium fuel when I started out on Saturday. I reset the check engine light and drove it Monday evening and again Tuesday and the engine light was still off...I verified that 2 of the incomplete readiness check items were off (think it was O2 heater and Evap still on) and today was able to get it smogged. I have the rear O2 sensor ready to go in if the light comes back on but for now, I was able to get it registered before it was due. I do intend to swap it out...just not in as much of a hurry as I was before...now I can concentrate on getting my Silver '01 Durango going again before the snow comes...Wife has spoken...she wants her Durango with its heated seats fixed ASAP. LOL

Thanks everyone for the help.

Steve

sporta 05-28-2019 09:25 PM

Resurrecting this thread again....

my 2000 Durango with the 4.7L engine is throwing the damn 1391 check engine light AGAIN! :icon_deadhorse:

And on Monday evening on the way home it started to buck and surge....

I replaced both the Crank and camshaft position sensors again to fix this issue. I just rebuilt the top end of the engine (there is another thread floating around here, long story short, new re-man heads, same cam's, new 4 hole injectors, champion copper plugs, and complete timing chain with guides plus all the gaskets required). I checked the wires pretty close on the cam sensor and didn't see any damage to them and also gave the crank sensor a good look. Any suggestions? I re-set the check engine light and there is currently no CEL on...however it is listed as unconfirmed/pending status....going nuts here...

Thanks

Steve

Dodgevity 05-29-2019 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by sporta (Post 3416939)
I fixed the 1391 by changing out both the crankshaft and camshaft position sensor and while I was in there

Hey, Steve. Did you use Mopar sensors? Those are pretty major sensors and you wouldn't want to go aftermarket.

sporta 05-29-2019 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgevity (Post 3440640)
Hey, Steve. Did you use Mopar sensors? Those are pretty major sensors and you wouldn't want to go aftermarket.

Yeah, no. I went cheep...still trying to recover from the major rebuild...going to look at Mopar now...stealership wants 94 for the crank sensor and 50 ish for the cam sensor...checking online for a better price...any sites y'all suggest?

Steve

sporta 06-01-2019 03:21 PM

Replaced the camshaft position sensor with a mopar one. Fired it up and it kinda runs like crap. Pulled the pending codes and the P1391 still shows up. Is it safe to assume it's the crankshaft sensor? I don't see any bad wires on the plug connections...waiting now for my mechanic neighbor to come take a look at it...feeling stumped here.

HeyYou 06-01-2019 09:02 PM

Check connections and wiring for both sensors. If you don't find anything, replace the crank sensor.