1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Interchangeable Parts ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I used one to replace a broken exhaust manifold bolt in a cast iron head. I was able to drill out the broken bolt, tap for the helicoil, and hunker down the new bolt. It never failed.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
people (shops) over-tighten them and they become weak with time.

this is exactly what happens, people dont use torque wrenches on caliper bolts even tho they should, it doesnt take much to hold the caliper to the bracket. Using proper torque also makes the bolts easier to remove when its time to change pads.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
this is exactly what happens, people dont use torque wrenches on caliper bolts even tho they should, it doesnt take much to hold the caliper to the bracket. Using proper torque also makes the bolts easier to remove when its time to change pads.
Well to be fair I've never used a torque wrench on mine either. But I didn't have one last time I assembled them. But I have a good idea on what these can handle and know how much pressure I can put on a 3/8 ratchet and not pull threads. Not hitting it with an impact and calling it good like shops do. I do wish these had heavier duty bolts though, with slide pins built into the brackets like most disc brake setups.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
Well to be fair I've never used a torque wrench on mine either. But I didn't have one last time I assembled them. But I have a good idea on what these can handle and know how much pressure I can put on a 3/8 ratchet and not pull threads. Not hitting it with an impact and calling it good like shops do. I do wish these had heavier duty bolts though, with slide pins built into the brackets like most disc brake setups.

IIRC the 2003s have that setup . . . earlier trucks dont.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:33 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Floating calipers are just annoying in general. A fixed caliper with pistons on each side that handle the movement are way nicer.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by that_guy
Floating calipers are just annoying in general. A fixed caliper with pistons on each side that handle the movement are way nicer.
That's what my truck has. I was surprised when I did a brake job to find fixed 4 piston calipers. Definitely my favorite design. I wish I at least had the 03 front brakes on my Durango though.

Quick Reply: Interchangeable Parts ?