1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New Durango, More Problems,lol 1st Gen 03 R/T

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 03:32 AM
GreenBayGuru
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Durango, More Problems,lol 1st Gen 03 R/T

Ok, this will be a bit long as I fully describe what happened.
Got my 03 R/T delivered in today via a transport company, watched em move a car off , go and fire mine up and move it into my driveway, told em to keep it running.
Bout 5-10 mins later I jumped in it to fill it up with gas and get some screws for my plates, got to the auto store turned the vehicle off went and got the screws, put plate on and left to get gas.
i got to the gas station and turned the car off to fill up, when I got back in turned the key and had nothing, no click, no crank , no struggle to turn, nothing.
Dash indicates nothing is wrong, All electrical is working, including radio heat,lights,etc
I sit their felling like a moron cause I just bought it, lol anyways I call my pops he comes to jump it cause a few minutes before he got their I turned the key and got a whir, so Im like gotta be a dead battery or a depleted one but my dad hooks up a voltmeter to it and its showing 12.5, so he's like well it isn't the battery, needless to say were sitting there scratching our heads going wtf,lol
So after a 2 more nothing starts I get back out go yea I don't know whats wrong I jumped back in and it started up kinda rough but started.
Tell my dad to follow me home in which it ran great, and ran great when I drove it, so I got back home parked it, and turned it off and tried restarting it and the same thing happened, it was just dead.
So my dad said he had to go and would look at it tomorrow during the day ( this was like 11pm cst)
about an hour later my wife said I needed to move the truck and you bet your sweet buttocks I didn't tell her the truck I just bought wasn't working,lol so I go out there to move it and nothings happening, I made 3 starting attempts and had nothing.
Then I just decided to throw it in neutral & it fired right up, I then moved it put it back in the driveway and turned it off and then it restarted again while I was in park.
So I scratched my head a bit and decided to see what happens in the morning,lol
All fluids are good, Motor sounds and drives strong, the trucks fn nice for being an 03, its just figuring this out and if you can help i'll just say it in advance,

Thanks!

Last edited by GreenBayGuru; 12-06-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

next time it happens try the nuetral thing again, if it consistently starts in nuetral but not park it could be the transmission range sensor, its not supposed to allow it to start unless you are in park or nuetral, and if its worn and not picking up that you are in park all the way it wont let the car start (this part replace may also be called a nuetral safety switch, but i believe it was replaced with the range sensor on the 2001+ MY trucks

Old 12-06-2018, 12:33 PM
GreenBayGuru
Rookie

Ran the scenario by my mechanic and he was saying the saem thing bout the neutral switch on the tranny so Lets see if that solves me problems

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2018, 05:50 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Another vote for the neutral safety switch/range sensor.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:39 PM
GreenBayGuru
Rookie

Actually it ended up being something in the column, Any adjustments done to the switch just made it worse, What was happening is the circle was not appearing over the parking gear when this was happening so my mechanic whose a good buddy of mine said it boils down to making sure I take it into park to where it stops instead of putting it into park,.since ive gotten it back ive just put it into park a lil harder and havnt had any issues.

Quick Reply: New Durango, More Problems,lol 1st Gen 03 R/T