1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:19 AM
ZacMac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem

Ive bought a 2003 Dodge Durango sxt, approximately 5 months ago. When you put the key in the ignition it displays reverse, on further inpection it will not display Drive or Neutral. However if you push the shifter down to 1st back to park position sometimes it will display park and it will start. However this is not always the case and sometimes it is hard to get it back into park. The transmission is automatic and 3 days ago had the shift cable replaced. Any help would be appreciated have a great day

Old 12-16-2018, 08:41 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Something is off with the linkage. Or worse, the engagement mechanism. You probably need to get under the truck and watch it move as someone shifts through all the gears. Also see this video...

Last edited by Dodgevity; 12-16-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:00 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Did it do this before the shifter cable was replaced?

Old 12-16-2018, 12:44 PM
ZacMac

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Something is off with the linkage. Or worse, the engagement mechanism. You probably need to get under the truck and watch it move as someone shifts through all the gears. Also see this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CDAytTHVoU
Thank you, for feed back. the transmission goes through all gears with no problem, if you place the shifter where neutral is supposed to be it will roll when pushed same when it supposed to be in park it won’t move at all so the transmission goes into all gears however will not display on the instrument cluster Park or Neutral but it does go it though gears it doesn’t get stuck it moves freely thought the gear however like I said it wouldn’t display the proper gears on the instrument cluster any other hints for this problem will be much appreciated

Old 12-16-2018, 12:49 PM
ZacMac

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Did it do this before the shifter cable was replaced?
Thank you for the feedback. Yes it did do it before the replacement cable was installed, I was lost and had taken it to a mechanic they said they had never heard of this before. They recommend this replacement part. Furthermore the SUV will not do this all the time and some times won’t do it for a few day and sometimes it’s everyday when you get in, but have caught it on video

Old 01-30-2019, 09:17 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie
Talking 1999 Durango 46RE trans, intermittint limp mode.

Code PO753 >>> 250,000 , and very hard life. I've been a mechanic my whole life at 61 now and am having problems determining what to change on this 46RE Trans.
It does need a long forgotten fluid and filter change, and will get one ASAP. I was able to fit two bottles Lucas Trans Cure, and it seemed to cure it for two days, or 50 or so miles. This morning cold, shifted perfect then after beginning warm up limp mode occur ed. Engine light on, second gear only and of coarse reverse still not affected or perfect through all of this. Put almost 80 miles on it tonight stop and go and freeway, with no dysfunction or engine light.
Got tired of running all the gas out of this owned since new 5.9 ltr. Great pulling set up by the way. No Durango ordered this heavy duty ever I doubt.
I'm, pulling pan in a couple days. If this doesn't act up until then should I just do the fluid (now dark) and filter, or should I replace the two easy to get to censer and solenoid attached to valve body. I believe the other two you can see are for over drive operations, and am getting mixed information with the need to pull the valve body or not.
Was this thing just gummed up, and should I just start with fluid and filter with band adjustments of coarse. As you know two adjustments available, 46RE.
I have never been a tranny rebuilder but will understand what is thrown my way.
Also let me know if this post is in the correct place on this forum. It's not clearly described to me as to where a new subject post goes.
Thanks so much for any information.

Last edited by ZipperStar; 01-30-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Forgotton info.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:57 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check that front band! At 212K on mine, it was loose at hell, could literally fit 3 fingers. All I did was tighten it up. 3K miles later, it hasn’t changed. Just check the drum and see how bad it is, I somehow got lucky on mine without a single scratch.

My issue was similar to yours. After driving a bit it wouldn’t want to shift from 1-2 or 2-3 what so ever. I changed out the governor pressure solenoid and transducer with one from a junk yard, turned out It was bigger than the one I pulled out but it actually fixed part of my shifting issue. Only problem now is it doesn’t like to kickdown from 3-2 and 2-1. It does, but vibrates for a split second and goes down to 500 rpms doing so. Been driving with it like this for a few thousand miles because it really doesn’t bug me, but that issue is because I don’t have the correct pressure solenoid. I think the OD solenoid is shot(P1740) but I haven’t figured out how to change this without having to drop the valve body again.. so that’s on the back burner. Hope this helps.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:58 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, not sure what year is yours but in my 01 with the 46RE, we don’t have a limp mode.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:48 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheCableGuy
Check that front band! At 212K on mine, it was loose at hell, could literally fit 3 fingers. All I did was tighten it up. 3K miles later, it hasn’t changed. Just check the drum and see how bad it is, I somehow got lucky on mine without a single scratch.

My issue was similar to yours. After driving a bit it wouldn’t want to shift from 1-2 or 2-3 what so ever. I changed out the governor pressure solenoid and transducer with one from a junk yard, turned out It was bigger than the one I pulled out but it actually fixed part of my shifting issue. Only problem now is it doesn’t like to kickdown from 3-2 and 2-1. It does, but vibrates for a split second and goes down to 500 rpms doing so. Been driving with it like this for a few thousand miles because it really doesn’t bug me, but that issue is because I don’t have the correct pressure solenoid. I think the OD solenoid is shot(P1740) but I haven’t figured out how to change this without having to drop the valve body again.. so that’s on the back burner. Hope this helps.
Thanks buddy, I believe you had the same problem. I'll leave the two hard to get overdrive solenoids for now, and do the governor pressure solenoid and transducer, which look easy to swap out. Yes and tighten those bands up where they belong. I need for this tranney to last as long as it can right now.
Again thanks , and best to you..

Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If the trans works fine, it's likely the dash. The selector indicator display data is determined by the dash. Here is the page from the FSM for my 2001.

Attached Files

Quick Reply: Transmission problem