1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 Durango brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Mile High Jeeb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Durango brake issues

My 2001 Durango's (5.9 R/T AWD 46RE) brake pedal has always been "spongy" and soft and the pedal stays down after I depress it (I have to lift it back up with my foot). I'm noticing it sometimes makes a vibrating/grinding noise for a split second when I push the brake pedal (like turning a corner at low speed) and does the same intense noise just louder and longer when pushing the brakes hard with speed (like a slow down on the highway for example). The noise is accompanied by the brake pedal getting hard and refusing to go down any more. It stops when I let off the pedal. Pretty sure the brakes are locking up, but not certain. I know the brakes are known for being faulty on the 1st gens but I'm not sure where to look. I'll be putting new pads and rotors on soon regardless. Anyone that can point me in the direction of the causes and repairs? Thanks fellas.

Last edited by Mile High Jeeb; 06-20-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I suspect what you are experiencing is the ABS kicking it. It does tend to be noisy...... Think I would do a full brake inspection, replace any worn parts, do the soft brake lines just because, and flush the entire system. See if that doesn't improve it's attitude any.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:19 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I suspect what you are experiencing is the ABS kicking it. It does tend to be noisy...... Think I would do a full brake inspection, replace any worn parts, do the soft brake lines just because, and flush the entire system. See if that doesn't improve it's attitude any.

i second this idea,

the brakes the first gens, while on the smaller size, are not known to fail very frequently and tend to require only the typical minimal maintenance. The only common issue is the mounting bolt into the knuckle is very easy to strip out, but that would be immediately obvious when you strip it and have to run out to buy more parts :O

Old 06-21-2019, 06:23 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Check for a rear wheel cylinder leak getting fluid on the shoes. It can make the shoes grab, try to lock the wheels, then the abs jumps in. I had the same thing before.

With the drums properly adjusted and the front pads free to move (had to weld new material into the pits on the knuckles and grind it smooth again) my Durango has pedal feel as good as my 928 with brembos and far better than my Charger.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:59 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would also inspect the steel brake lines for rust and see if any have cracks in them and are leaking.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Pads might be worn too, if you're hearing grinding. Usually those little squealer reeds will start making a racket, but sometimes they break off and are silent till the big grind. The only way to truly tell what is going on is to pull off the wheels. Replace pads & rotors, lube the slide pins and flush the lines. Worry about anything after that.

Quick Reply: 01 Durango brake issues