1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Idle Problems on 2K 4.7L Durango

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 01:59 AM
VT1toDeliver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Problems on 2K 4.7L Durango

Hi, I am new here, I have questions about my 2000 Durango 4.7L.
Since I have bought it (23,000 miles in 2002) It has stalled 4 times when backing up. It happens when I back up and stop then it stalls before I can slip it into drive. I have noticed this only occurs when it is humid or raining..... ???? It starts up fine right after it stalls.
Another is occasionaly during start up in the morning, I turn the key and the engine races up to 2500+ RPMs then down to idle just over 1000rpm. Sometimes, it will then accelerate again up to 1500rpm, my foot is not even near the gas pedal....?????
Now I am getting surging and fluctuating rpms while cruising, on the highway and side roads too. Is the TPS out of adjustment?
I have read about getting codes by turning the key on and off repeatedly 5 or so times, does any one know if I can find answers to my problems by that method?
Thanks for all your help in advance.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:03 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Idle Problems on 2K 4.7L Durango

To get the error key, turn the key to power on and all the way back 3 times, you should then get some kind of flashing symbol or code

As for you stalling issue...it could be a dirty/bad TPS.....it could also be an issue with the transmission. I had a slightly similar issue...where it would stall or hang when backing up.....turned out to be an issue in the transmission....I would consider at least having it looked at by a shop....

Old 09-02-2005, 02:10 AM
VT1toDeliver

Thanks I will look into it......

Old 09-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your D does not show any codes, go ahead and change out the TPS. My 00 D had engine surges when on cruise control and sometimes bad throttle responses. Changed out the TPS and all problems were gone. The TPS can be bought at NAPA auto parts for around $35-$40 bucks and it is a very easy do it yourselfer. Just remove 2 screws with a allen key and it is a 15 second replacement.

You may also want to check your throttle body to make sure it is not gummed up. I did not even check mine until around 60k miles when I was cleaning up the engine and removed the air hat that is over the throttle body and noticed my TB was a little dirty. Sprayed some B-12 cleaning spray on it and cleaned it all up. Now my engine idles much much smoother and I get better throttle responses as well.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Reyncat

What does TPS stand for?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Reyncat

What does TPS stand for?

Thanks in advance!
Throttle Position Sensor

Old 07-18-2006, 12:04 AM
s_chev

I just came across this message string and I too had an idle problem for about 6 months. I just ran up and got a TPS and it fixed the problem. Total repair time was about 2 minutes. I wish I would have found this 6 months ago. Thanks a million.

Quick Reply: Idle Problems on 2K 4.7L Durango