1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:19 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea?

hey what are your thoughts on after market intakes off EBay like the nock offs of Brute force and KNN... I know theres a difrence beteween the filter being paper and not made of the fabic type materails.. but is it a bad idea to buy it then replace with a real filter from AEM or KNN????: thanks for the reply.. jp

Old 07-23-2006, 10:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Idea?

I prefer K&N intakes. Although there are some other ratical things you can do like a ram air true cold air intake. The ones I saw on
E-bay I didn't like because they still draw in hot air. You need to get something else that only takes cold air in.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:59 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional

thanks but what truely makes it cold air? is it the filter or everything? because when I look at the piping and stuff they see the same but the major differance is the filter from what I have seen...... But good news as soon as sep come its three pay check month... TB here I come YEAHHHHHHHH.... JP

Old 07-26-2006, 12:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

A true cold air intake brings only outside air in to the motor. The problem that I have found is with the cold air intake systems is they sit in the same place as the OEM filter intake. It sits inside the engine compartment and also brings in warm air from the engine compartment. You can either cut out a piece in front between the head light and the radiator and put the intake tube through the hole, or put in a ram air hood with a scoop that drops direct into the air intake.

This is the only way to get true cold air intake. It makes a good mod.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

A true cold air intake brings only outside air in to the motor. The problem that I have found is with the cold air intake systems is they sit in the same place as the OEM filter intake. It sits inside the engine compartment and also brings in warm air from the engine compartment. You can either cut out a piece in front between the head light and the radiator and put the intake tube through the hole, or put in a ram air hood with a scoop that drops direct into the air intake.

This is the only way to get true cold air intake. It makes a good mod.
Thus the reason why I have not yet upgraded to a Cold Air Intake system. I wonder where they claim "Cold Air" from? Some CAI kits, do have a real true sealed system and so do not.

At least my factory setup, I am rebuilding the little elbow that comes out of the filter box to the sidewall. The elbow comes out with a big opening but the other end, it shrinks to less than half its total space. Will do some custom measuring and build and install a big round PVC elbow plumbing and get the air only from the front of the D to truly draw in outside air.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:45 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Volant CAI systems ( http://www.volantperformance.com/ ) have enclosed air boxes, shielding them from the HOT engine air. These are the closest to a complete COLD air intake system for the D. The most popular CAI system, the K&N FIPK2 kit (as well as all the others in this area), has a shield section that is partially shielding it from the heat of the engine. eBay sellers also offer small shields that fit around half the filter and offer a little blockage from the heat, but barely.

IndyDurango

Old 07-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional

ok so true cold air come from the out side air yes.. but wont the not resticted air filter be better than the plane stock one?

Old 07-27-2006, 01:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

http://www.volantperformance.com/ does not have a system for the 5.9L!!!!!

Jpondo5.9, the high flow filter is better than the stock one if you can keep your foot out of it.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:59 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Yes, even adding a flat K&N filter to replace the stock filter in the stock box improves the air flow.

REAL cold air systems use air for the fuel mixture that has passed thru an intercooler and actually mega cool the air with H20 or NOS before mixing with the fuel in the throttle body. The theory being that there is more air when it is dense (cooled) thus delivering more power when burned (that is why your D runs better on a cool fall morning/night with that thick cool morning air.) That same theory applies when most simply refer to the cold air intake systems as I described above. And then, K&N is the most popular (which is what I have) but that doesn't make them the best.

IndyDurango

Old 07-28-2006, 04:03 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional

true dat. true dat.... But all in all the intake gets replaced when you supercharge your turck any ways.. so I guess I will keep what I got not true cold air but better than stoke you can say and wait tell I have done other things like to TB and intake man.. and headers and then when I can a supercharger... thanks for all the coments it has really helped my understanding

Quick Reply: Idea?