1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Shifting out of park

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:03 AM
a57chevy43
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting out of park

I have an 03 slt 4x4 with the 4.7 and 84,000 miles. 4 Times now i have gotten into it and started it up and went to shift into gear and it wont come out of park. I tried stomping the brake pedal shifting softer and even tried to force it and nothing. After a couple minutes I will hear a faint click under the dash and it shifts fine again. I know there is a brake pedal lock but is there a known issue with it and how can i bypass it. I did it once to my parents suburban and i had to take a bunch of parts off the steering column to make it work and i absolutely dont want to do that to mine.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

this is actually a pretty common problem and pretty simple to fix, two things to do, one is to pop the rubber boot off the shifter column and lubricate the lock mechanism inside (i tend to do mine every winter when it starts to lag a little bit) another trick is to unplug the brake light switch at the pedla, this will let you shift out of park and into nuetral (not sure why, but it does) you can start the truck in nuetral and plug it back in to have brake lights, i have done this so avoid being stuck at school waiting for a ride home, however this should not be your go-to solution, you should lubricate the assembly properly (i use a silcon based lubricant which will also help to repel water)

Quick Reply: Shifting out of park