1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New EQ Heads - Small Amount of Oil on top of Piston

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:55 PM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation New EQ Heads - Small Amount of Oil on top of Piston

Hi everyone, So I finally finished up putting my 5.9 magnum back together. I discovered I had a bit of coolant leaking from either a bad head gasket or a cracked head, couldn't tell when I took apart the heads. So now I have installed my EQ heads and everything else was reinstalled. I just recently did the plenum plate fix, being paranoid I took off the bolts and redid the full tightening sequence and used blue locktite. Got the truck and ran it for about 5 miles and the following day just for fun I decided to pull a few of the plugs and check on my nicely cleaned cylinders with my boroscope camera. I see a very small amount of oil on the piston top, check 2 more and also see a bit of oil on the side.

I am completely baffled and I am assuming this is not normal. I shouldn't have oil showing up on the top of the pistons as far as I am aware. Anyone have any ideas what the hell is going on?

There are the 8 2 and 7 cylinders. Everything was nice and clean when I installed the heads, Only thing I did was spray like 3 secs of fogging oil in the cylinders once I put the heads on to avoid any flash rust and lube the walls. I can't imagine that is the oil I am seeing.

Last edited by fcastro; 07-19-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:12 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It being across 2 banks makes it seem more like it could be coming from the intake.

Quick Reply: New EQ Heads - Small Amount of Oil on top of Piston