DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   rear differential additive question (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/80346-rear-differential-additive-question.html)

spectre184 11-06-2006 07:54 PM

rear differential additive question

I searched forums on here and found there is an additive for the rear differential. Is this something I can buy at like Autozone, Napa or do I need to go to dealer? I don't think quick change oil place added anything when they change it because while now it makes whine noise when moving. I had wheel bearings looked at and they are good. Course same oil place missed few grease fittings. Think it's time to go somewhere else....

steelerguy 11-06-2006 08:50 PM

RE: rear differential additive question

It's definitely supposed to have the slip differential additive added along with the oil. Call them & see if they put it in. I doubt it as it's usually a $30 overcharge that they try to tell you is expensive because the additive is so expensive. Don't drive long without it.

Autozone sells it for like $7. I add the whole 7 ounce tube to both front & rear diffs. I think that only rear is required. Any way, get a pump or something to get 7 ounces of oil out & just squeeze the tube in. Should just be a rubber cap on there that you can pull off with some needle nose pliers & pop back on with your hands.

Note: the caps start leaking sometimes after a few times in & out. Napa sells them but you have to go in & look it up in one of their non-computer catalogs. They'll know what to do. Rubber caps are like $3 or $4 each.

spectre184 11-07-2006 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: steelerguy

Don't drive long without it.

Well I already have. Dont remember how long ago but it's been long time. Hope fully haven't hurt anything.

I don't have to worry about draining any out. Caps seems like it's leaking. think I'll get addiditve and put it in now and next spring (when it's warmer) drain and change fluid and get new plug. Is there gasket for diff cover or you just RTV it good?

Thanks of info :D

spectre184 11-07-2006 11:21 AM

I search AZ site and is K&W Posi-Trac Limit Slip Additive what I need? I tried to do link but it didnt go work properly [>:]

steelerguy 11-16-2006 02:42 PM

NAPA carries the cap for like $3.50. Make sure you tell the counter person to look in there accessories catalogue as the part will not show up in a routine computer check. If you have 4wd, might as well get one for the front diff and the next time you pull it may leak but not be so obvious because there is skid plate beneath it.

There may not be as much out of it as you think so check & drain enough to make sure there is plenty of room for the slip diff fluid. Get a bottle of gear oil too & top it off.

Good luck & I hope there's no damage.

steelerguy 11-16-2006 02:47 PM

don't know what brands work. I just asked & received at autozone. The K&W stuff sounds right but I'm not sure.

Hemi4wheeling 11-27-2006 11:26 PM

For the differential fluid I just go to the dealer and spend a little extra. Atleast you are guareented you get the right one already mixed.

Hit_it 12-29-2006 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: spectre184

I searched forums on here and found there is an additive for the rear differential. Is this something I can buy at like Autozone, Napa or do I need to go to dealer? I don't think quick change oil place added anything when they change it because while now it makes whine noise when moving. I had wheel bearings looked at and they are good. Course same oil place missed few grease fittings. Think it's time to go somewhere else....
Next change use mobil 1 it already has the additive in the gear lube. It says so on the back label.

steelerguy 12-29-2006 07:15 PM

Hemi4,

Glad you got a good dealership, but I have had both good & bad experiences.

One thing for sure...they are almost always the highest price because their overhead is the highest. The competency depends on the individual mechanics & their management.

My other vehicle is an Infiniti G35 & you would think that they would have top notch everything. The dealership is in Snobsdale (Scottsdale) Arizona. Have owned it a year and in that time they have turned over the entire service advisor department twice over. No offense against young people, but the senior mechanic can't be over 25 years old. So if it's not in the techdata, they can't fix anything unusual that might require some experience.

Even the routine stuff usually requires at least 2 visits & twice I have gone back for my car & nobody even touched it. Once, they needed to replace a fuse on a power outlet & just left the fuse out. Took them like 4 hours to figure out what they did when I came back & then they weren't even smart enough to make something up so as not to look so hopeless.

The only saving grace is that they give you a G35 loaner for a $10 charge with about 3/8s of a tank and let you bring it back bone dry if you want. If it takes 3 days to fix the car, it's still only $10.

Short answer, don't be afraid to evaluate a dealership like any other shop.

durangoguy16 07-16-2007 07:52 AM

Use some Lucas additive and call it a day.