1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Battery keeps dying??!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:40 PM
tattoohead
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery keeps dying??!!

I've got a '98 D with the 318ci in it. I bought it about a year ago and ever since then especially in cold weather, if I let it sit for a day or two without driving it, it won't start and I need a jump. So far, I've had the mechanic do a draw test to see if anything is drawing current, he said no. I've tried two different batteries from two different stores and two different brands.

A guy told me something about a diode in the alternator that will draw current with the engine off, something like a flash diode I believe he said. Does anyone know what it could be.

BTW...I took the cable off the battery and the truck still ran. I have to give the kids a ride to school in the morning here in Wisconsin, it's cold as hell and the problem is getting worse.

Thanks....

--Jack

Old 12-10-2006, 11:29 PM
wagmc
Default RE: Battery keeps dying??!!

I'd have the alternator checked. it is possible for one of the alternator phases to go bad. the remaining two will run the vehicle, but limit output so that there's nothing left to charge the batt, especially when you have to run lights, wipers, heater blower, rear defrost , etc on those cold winter mornings, thus slowly draining your batt.

also make sure you have good, tight, corrosion free connections everywhere.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:53 PM
tattoohead
Professional

Right now, I've disabled the factory alarm and turned the dome lights switch to "off". If it happens again, I'll switch out the alternator and update the thread to let u know what's going on. thanx...

Old 12-12-2006, 01:30 PM
geneo

how do you disable the factory alarm?

Thanx,

Geneo

Old 12-12-2006, 02:18 PM
tattoohead
Professional

I don't use the remote key locker or the lock all button inside the cab....I manually push down the locks then close the doors. This prevents the alarm from activating...at least the security light doesn't come on, so it looks as tho it's working. I then use the key to open the driver's door.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:26 AM
BLACKonBLACKonBLACK
Rookie

Yeah let us know... I am having the same damn prob. My D keeps dieing.. I just replaced the batt... IDK what is going on with it..

Old 12-13-2006, 03:08 PM
tattoohead
Professional

Well...I'll have to wait until I don't use the truck for a day....which shouldn't be long. I don't do that much driving since my back went out. I'll let u know what happens after it sits...but so far it's been starting up with no probs.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:58 PM
BLACKonBLACKonBLACK
Rookie

I am having the same problem... I let my truck sit from last night at about 5pm till now and its 3pm the next day and the batt is dead... IDK what the hell is going on... Ive tried to do everything. Im bringing it into the shop now.... This needs to get worked out cuz i need it to be dependable and plus a have a Brush Guard and 4 Foglights on there way so i need the electric system to be strong.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 PM
tattoohead
Professional

Let me know what u find out. I was gonna bring it to the shop too but am kind of short on cash after a $700+ front end repair in November.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:03 AM
BLACKonBLACKonBLACK
Rookie

I sure will there buddy... Its at the shop now... As soon as i get her home ill let you know... I cant wait to get it back to the old reliable D it was and should be

Quick Reply: Battery keeps dying??!!