1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

goin to buy a Durango.. your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:53 PM
2000DirtyDurangoDD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: goin to buy a Durango.. your opinion

I bought a 4.7 even after reading all the bad things about them.4 phone calls to 4 different dealers and they never heard of a sludge problem in the 4.7.There is a 2. something that had that problem.
2 service reps told me there have problems with people using the wrong oil.
The only thing I will say is boy oh boy is the Durango thirsty, but it's a good strong safe vehicle,reminds me of my Grand Wagoneer,minus the woodgrain.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2000 they never know anything about their vehicles that they care to share with the consumer. It is not considered a problem unless there is a recall in their eyes...

Old 01-19-2007, 12:20 AM
BadLander

Like I said, I like my truck, but it is probably a lemon - 26000 miles on it, already had bad PCM, bad ignition switch, blown radio amp, interior lights flickering in time with the engine idle, devfective seat latch, and a problem the dealers can't fix - #10 slot fuse (10amp to PCM) blows out when I go to start the car - happens randomly and while the car was sitting and otherwise fine - its resulted in over $2000 in repairs on a car 4 years old and barely driven - so call me bitter, but this will be my last Durango.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:05 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

I am fairly new to the Durango market but my Brother is on his third one, and has had very good luck. I just purchased a2003 SLT 4X4 4.7 Third row/Leather/XM and very happy. The only drawback is the 265/70/16 Tires I had on that were far in excess of the factory recommended 245/70/16 and actualmileage ishigher than indicated. That could make the difference in a speeding ticket or not but speeding is a matter of chance anyhow right? I switched to the recommended 245/70/16 today long term evaluation to come but so far I am happy. I heard some of the same stories about the 4.7 sludging and will be cautious but so far no history. Took it off the lot brought used from a Buick/GMC/Pontiac dealer, had one outstanding recall for wiper motor. Took vehicle to Dodge dealer complied with recall and no further history. I traded in a 98 Jeep Cherokee for this Durango and other than the fuel mileage but then again I work for an airline, so my fuel economy lessons are way out the window. My main goal ispassenge/crew safety/satisfaction and flight completion My idea is it pays to play and although I amlight on the throttle the simple fact is that there is a lot of weight/bulk with the D and that is a trade off but I am willing to take the trade off for the safety/ space/luxury and convenience. You note I put safety first!!! I am not trying to influence you one way or the other but if you want safety/space/convenience/luxuryit is going to cost at the pump, as long as you know that going in and are prepared to accept that, then you should be fine. I would plan to expect approx $30-60 per fill up depending on price in your area. Again not trying to scare you but simple economics and I am of the belief that it does not pay to run skinny on fuel, you will eventually use it. Unless you are filling it up on the way to get your fuel pump changed, I recommend topping off and get it over with. I am not in charge of your budget but for planning it is fuel thirsty but safe, and some people are willing to pay the price for fuel to be safe, if you are then welcome to the forum if not then a Ford Escape/Chevy Equinox might be up your alley. Think about what I said about the safety, that one time you need the cushioning for impact is a time you really need it. Good Luck!!!!

Steve

Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 AM
garrettc

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE RADIATOR WITH THE REBUILD.
why?

Old 01-19-2007, 03:22 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Read this and learn https://dodgeforum.com/m_600882/tm.htm

Old 01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

I was rereading my post and one line in there may be taken out of context so I would like to clear that up now before it gets out of hand.

"Unless you are filling it up on the way to get your fuel pump changed, I recommend topping off and get it over with. I am not in charge of your budget but for planning it is fuel thirsty but safe, and some people are willing to pay the price for fuel to be safe, if you are then welcome to the forum if not then a Ford Escape/Chevy Equinox might be up your alley."

I am by no means trying to imply that theFord Escape and Chevy Equinox are not safe, it was just a matter of size and they are smaller. Each of those vehicles have a respectable safety rating and each have their own safety features. My intent of the post was to show that there is more bulk behind the Durango or ahead in the event of an accident.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Jpondo5.9
Professional

dude you know if you get a SUV your going to get worse gass milage.. plain and simple.. but with bigger tires on mine and just the standerd mods I get about 13mpg around town. and I drive like a 22 year old kid that well like the smoke the kids in there parents car.. but I would for sure look for 2003 slt+ if poss.. mine is a 2000 and I wished I would have waited to get a newer model just for the interior benefits. But at 81000 miles my trany went out I had a warrenty on it so it was no biggy.. I would buy another D any day.. so if your looking for a fun ride that you can take the fam in.. or 7 friends .. or take it up jeep trails and or pull a boat. the D is the perfect thing for you. at lest thats my thoughts....

Old 01-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Jp did you read my link to another post up there? I don't want anyone to have any problems like I had...

Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Jpondo5.9
Professional

I just read that link .. it was great... Sense my warrenty is with the deal I don't they will budge in getting me a better tork coverter but I am going to call my guy today about that.. .. GREAT post.. that sucks you had so much trouble though on the ride down... did you end up getting a 3 core radiator ?

Quick Reply: goin to buy a Durango.. your opinion