1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear End Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:46 PM
ChrisHackIT
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Conversion

I have a 2000 durango slt sport and I am think if a 2003 rear end will work in my 2000, just to let you know the rear end out of the 2000 has drum brakes and the 2003 w/97000 km's has disc brake so let me know if this can be done or if any of you all have any suggestions please get back to me.

Thanks,

ChrisHackIT

GO PATRIOTS GO!!!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rear End Conversion

I don't see any problem with it at all but it may be easier to just do a viper brake upgrade than the drop the entire rear end out of it unless you already have it...

Old 01-23-2007, 01:48 PM
ChrisHackIT
Amateur

Hi Mean,

Thanks for the help, I called Stainless Steel Brakes and they have a conversion kit that cost 920.00US and in canadian that would be about 1200.00ca includes shipping which isn't to bad for the price, also I have a rear end out of a 2003 which I could still pick upfor about 500.00ca.I like to get the whole rear end and also what is the gear ratio?. The rear end cover is HEX on my2000 and I also confirmed that on the 2003 it's a HEX also. Is there anyway of checking out these internal parts to see if they are worn out they say the rear end for 500.00 has 97000km's. please let me know. Also any engine mods you recommend or anyone reading this let me know.

Thanks all,
ChrisHackIT

They only thingI know how to get is FREE SATELLITE TV..... and thats the truth$$$

Old 01-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Well you can tell what kind of gears it has by checking the sticker in the glovebox of the 2003 or if it is already gone and you only have the rear end then I would say take a look at the tag that is on one of the bolts that will tell you as long as it hasn't been lost in a previous fluid change.

As far as mods I would get an intake (or make a CAI that's what I did) larger TB from www.thefastman.comor if you have the 4.7 just pick up a TB from a junkyard for the 5.2 or 5.9 then a high flow muffler. I will be going with a fm 40 as soon as I get some money back in the bank. Just do a search on here about that stuff and you'll find more than enough info on it. The CAI and muffler will give you better mpg if you can keep your foot out of it.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:04 PM
deerang
All Star

thats a big IF there Green. I couldn't keep my foot out of it for quite some time after i put on my FM 40, couldn't get enough of it. I love driving by and having ppl trying to spot which car the rumble is coming from.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:39 AM
ChrisHackIT
Amateur

The rear conversionfrom a 2000 D (Drums in the rear) to a 2003 (disc brakes) will bolt right on to a 2000 no problems I got confirmation fromthe service manager atdodge, I gave him my vin number and the vin number of the 2003 and he compared it and he said its a straight bolt on. The stock gear in the 2000 is 3.55 and so is the 2003, Thanks for your help mean green and others that responded. Mean Green,are you telling me that if i went to a scrapyard and took out the TP offof a 5.9lv8 it would boltright on to my 4.7lv8 and would gain some horsepower??? and which one would you recommened the 5.2 or 5.9 TP? and suggestions for air intake and also looking to buy shocks soon for the front and rear.Can you also tell meif i should go from a clutch fan to electric?.

Thanks All,
ChrisHackIT

Old 01-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Mean Green
Champion

The 5.2 and 5.9 TB is the same size so it doesn't matter one point of advice the TB is not going to give you much results if you don't do the CAI and exhaust it just helps let air through one more bottleneck in the engine a little faster. As far as the viper fan upgrade that's all up to you. It will cost about $500 if you do the work yourself. You may want to spend a little extra on getting a yellow top battery and maybe even a heavy duty alternator but that's just what I would do for peace of mind on not running myself out of juice. Then again you pull the stock e-fan as well so it probably wouldn't be a whole lot more drain on the battery than it already is. As for the shocks I have Bilsteins and am pretty happy with the results. They're a little stiff but it's a truck so it doesn't bother me. It handles WAY better than stock.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:39 AM
HeavyD
Professional

What ever you do, DON'T DO THE VIPER KIT, Mean Green I know someone that tried it and they almost got into 2 accidents. GMS did noting to help. He ended up pulling them off and installing the Stillen Disc brake upgrade like I have. If anybody would like to talk to him PM me and I will send you his e-mail address. I think you can't even get them anymore. As far as I know, I don't knowany durango running the vipers.
Also buying from GSM is worst than getting your teeth pulled. They have the worst repution around. I can show you links and I personally know from being screwed over myself. This guy that bought his viper brakes spent a lot of time and personal money rechecking and reworking thebrakes it was not fun to see. Now he's out about 4000 dollars and GMS didn't stand behind the brakes or warranty anything

Chrishackit, be sure to check with the guy selling the brakes on what size rims you must run. The smallest you can run with the Stillen and viper brakes was 17" rims on the rear only. Youhave to run 18's to clear the front brakes.
If your running 15" rims (2000) you might even have to upgrade your wheels to run the 2003 rear. I think 2003 was running 17 to 18" wheels. You should look into this before doing the upgrade to be sure you can put your wheels back on. If your running 18" or larger rims you are fine.

MeanGreen, Here's is a stupid and unsafe thing I saw the owner of GSM did. He had the Viper brakes on his Dakota and went to the track. Well he could get the slicks on due to the viper brake conversion, At the time slicks were only in 15" wheel size. So he jacks the car up ,clamps off the brake line and removes the rear caliburs. puts on the slicks and races. He thought it was funny. I didn't see this as funny since he's drag racing with front brakes only. Also what if the brakes lines would have leaked on the track and got on his tires or even wrecked someone else for oil on the track. I got no respect for people doing unsafe acts with a car or truck.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:54 PM
deerang
All Star

HeavyD, Green was talking about doing the Viper fan upgrade, to replace the fan clutch, not Viper brakes.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:53 PM
HeavyD
Professional

Deerang, this didn't look like a fan conversion that he posted. Maybe your thinking of the other post, the subject of this post was about a rear brake conversion then it changed to the fan. He posted about both viper conversions. The brake conversion is the one you need to stay away from, the fan conversion works fine.

I don't see any problem with it at all but it may be easier to just do a viper brake upgrade than the drop the entire rear end out of it unless you already have it...

Quick Reply: Rear End Conversion