1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

strting problem help

Old 11-17-2006, 12:07 PM
91crvtec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strting problem help

I just purchased an 01 durango and it has a problem when i go to start it it cranks for like 20-30 secs then starts no check engine lights. when it is driven then i shut it off it starts right back up but if it sits like overnight when i go to start it in the morn. it will have to crank then it will start. I am going to do a spark plug change but dont know if that will help has this happened to anyone? does anyone have any sugestions.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:45 PM
deerang
All Star
Default RE: strting problem help

It may be a bad fuel pump, or fuel return vavle in the line.

What happened with my father's Jag is there is a valve in the fuel line which only allows fuel to pass trough in one direction. This valve was stuck open so whenever the car sat, the fuel would run back down the line, taking longer to prime the enigne. The fuel pump is taking long to prime the engine with enough fuel to start.

I'm not sure if the D has a similar setup in it. Instead of cranking for so long, just turn the ignition to on till you hear the fuel pump prime, than back off, then prime again and than try cranking it over. It'll safe your started form over-working itself

Old 11-17-2006, 09:15 PM
91crvtec

thanks ill tryu that and ill check out the valve and pump

Old 11-18-2006, 02:34 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can always do a fuel pressure test to see if back feeding is your problem. Throw some champion plugs back it it. Just get OEM Champion plugs and start from there.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:28 AM
browncs63

This is not a question but a solution. Our company runs a 1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 V8, which was having problems starting. We have been online multiple times to see if others had a solution and we found that owners were spending 1000's $ trying to figure the problem out to no avail, replacing part after part.
The PROBLEM:
Drive the Durango shut it off - go to start and would crank only - leave it for a while - come back start right up. Check engine light came on stayed on, threw a P0340 code (according to manual and dealers - no Cam shaft sensor on this model - it was throwing a false code). Little by little problem got worse to point Durango would not start at all. Seemed like it might be factory alarm with engine kill.
OTHERS ONLINE TRIED:
Coil; Crank Sensor; IAC; battery replacement; new distributor cap, rotor and plugs; replacement and/or flash of PCM; Throttle Positioning Sensor; Fuses; amoung other items. Brought to Dodge they could not figure it out.
WE FOUND IT TO BE:
Distributor pickup which duals as a cam shaft sensor. This is located under the distributor cap. A $50.00 part solved the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: strting problem help