1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Dodge Intrepid engine leaning back

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
deborahc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Intrepid engine leaning back

We have a 1996 Dodge Intrepid that has major problems. There is something broke in the front end, and there are "arms" under the car about an inch off the ground. The engine is slanted towards the back (downward). We don't know what is broke in order to figure out how to fix it. Can you help me?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Dodge Intrepid engine leaning back

Nothing should be on inch from the ground, if you are not exagerating, that's a problem all right! I think the "arms" you refer to, is what is called "the cradel mount." The mount has four attach bolts that go through 2 bushings (each bolt), an upper and a lower bushing. The bolts then bolt to the frame rails. If the back is low, check the rear bolts (VERY carefully...if the two rear bolts are broke and the entire weight is on the front 2 bolts, you could get squished if they broke too). A common problem is the bushings fail and the engine will clunk (and hop) when you give it gas. I never heard of the bolts breaking though.

PS The engine mounts bolt between the engine, and the top of the cradle.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 AM
deborahc

Yes, it is the engine cradle mount! We just discovered that the bolt was missing from one side, and the other side had the bolt attached tightly, but had ripped the metal out on that part of the car!

We have been told that this car is shot (unless we want to spend a fortune fixing this). We are a 5 member, one income family with one car now (and 4 drivers). I'm guessing a junk yard or donating the car is the only way to get rid of it?

[IMG]local://upfiles/88949/78671D3FDFC741EE8C4893B83F20B56B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/88949/D0EA9A7CE6614545ADAA6D2222A09E3D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-07-2008, 05:25 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

If you have a good welder localy, he may be able to help without trashing the car (weld a new plate with nut plate on top, then just reattach). If you do opt for this, I'd make sure to inspect the front mounting points for cracks/dammage as they have been under abnormal strain because of the two rear mount failures.

PS I have never seen (or heard) of this. Has anyone else out there see it before?

Kurt

Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 AM
tom01973
Rookie

saw this on a caddy once we welded in a plate replaced all the bushings and bolts and gave it back tothe customer never heard from them again so i'd sat it worked just fine

Quick Reply: Dodge Intrepid engine leaning back