1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Urgent! Help needed. Fan wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 PM
slowerisfaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent! Help needed. Fan wiring

Ok so I'm working on my mom's 98 neon sport (DOHC) and I'm trying to get the fans to work the way dodge intended. The previous owners hooked up the fans directly to the fuse box so they run whenever the ignition is on. (they didn't want to spend the $70 on a fan relay). I have the new fan relay and found where it goes without a problem. The trouble is that when they jerry rigged it they cut the plug off the fans that hooks it into the rest of the system. I need to figure out how to wire it back up (and no I don't have and can't get a new plug). I know the system involves the (underhood) fuse box, the PCM, the fan relay, and the fans themselves. I found the wiring diagram on autozone, but the colors arn't quite right because it shows that the wires connected to the fans are light green when in fact they are dark blue. Heres a quick sketch of what i have so far. I just need to know where to hook up the dark blue and black wires that are hooked the the fans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ntitledvw0.jpg

Old 05-02-2007, 11:54 PM
neisg1
Veteran
Default RE: Urgent! Help needed. Fan wiring

The wiring diagram you have is for the older 96-96 the 98 Neons used a different solid state relay mounted forward under the battery. Unfortunately my Haynes only has the older wiring diagram.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:42 AM
slowerisfaster

neisg1: I know about the incorrect diagram in Haynes b/c I checked that first. I also already knew where the fan relay was, but thanks for the help anyway.

I'm just trying to figure out how to wire it all up. I may need to run new wires, but I'm not sure yet. The fan has two wires a dark blue (hot) and a black (ground) wire. The relay has 4 wires (A light green, dark green, grey, and black; I'm not sure what they all go to). Thepower control module (PCM)has a million wires, but I haveno idea which one(s) are part of the fan circuit. The power distribution center (PDC or fuse box) has a 30 amp fuse for the fan and a grey wire (which is always hot). I need to know how these are all connected and what wires they are.

What could probably help a whole lot (so I can simply trace the original wires)is if you can answer two simple questions for me:
1. Just after the fan motors, where the 4 fan wires (2 dark blue, 2 black) come together into 2 wires (1 dark blue, 1 black) is there supposed to be a plug in that location?

2. If there is a plug there, what colors are the two wires coming off the other end of the plug? I would assume that they would be dark blue and black; however I could find no wires near there of that color. What I DID find was a plug that was just hanging there that had a green wire and a black one. Now before you say anything; YES, I already tried it and it did not work, but I don't know if:
A. I had the right plug, but there is a wiring problem somwhere
or
B. That plug goes to something else entirely.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to be precise so I could get the best answers. Hopefully someone can just look at that plug I described above and tell me what color the wires are (that's assuming there actually is a plug there in the first place). I'm also sorry for violating the 2 post rule, but I'm going back home tommorow and won't be able to work on the car. I am going on a long trip a week from now and I would really like to have this working properly. If it comes down to it I'll wire it back up the way the previous owner did, but I don't want to do that because I would have just wasted $70 on a new relay. I won't have much time tommorow so a quick response would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:51 AM
neisg1
Veteran

This information is from the dodge manual.
The relay:
Pin#1 Black is ground
Pin#2 Dark Green connects to a light Green wire to pin #18 of the PCM
Pin#3 Light Green connects to fan motor positive (in your case the Blue)
Pin#4 Gray connects to the 30A fuse in the power Distribution Center

The fan
Black is Ground
Light Green is positive (in your case the Blue)

I have a 1995 and a 2001 Neon and both have a 2 pin (green and black wires) that plug directly into the fan motor. The blue wires may be unique to the two fan systems, the manual just says that Neon’s with manual trans had one fan and auto trans had two.
You can try to trace that connector you found back to the relay socket.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:01 PM
slowerisfaster

neisg1: Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thank you so much for the info you provided. It was extremely helpful. I ended up running all new wires; I think there was something wrong with one of the originals, but without your help I wouldn't have know where to run them to. Everything is working great now: the fans come on when they are supposed to and the CEL code is no longer there. If only the relay didn't cost 70 bucks! Oh well I guess that's the price you pay for transportation. If I ever need help on my mom's car again I will be sure to come here first. Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:00 PM
neisg1
Veteran

Glad to help.

Quick Reply: Urgent! Help needed. Fan wiring