1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

stripped spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:42 AM
trollsk8r
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped spark plug

OK, I just got a helluva deal on a 97 neon.. after putting aroung 300 miles on it in the past 2 days one of the plugs blew out of the head .. for what it's worth it was the second in on the left .. if this has happened to this car before is beyond me .. but as i have read i can fix it quite easily using a heli-coil or by putting a threaded plug into the hole and making sure it's sealed/correcttorque/etc .. my question is i also read that for the time being (since my car is about 10 blocks from my crib) I can disconnect the injector so that the malfunctioning piston stops working completely .. therefore taking it from a 4 banger to a 3 .. the whole thing is is that i dunno how safe it is or how to disconnect it .. any help on doing that is appreciated or any info on just (fixing) rethreading it is GREATLY appreciated .. Thanks, Brian

Old 05-03-2007, 10:16 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: stripped spark plug

i had the same problem with my r/tawhile back....the helicoil worked great and its fairly easy to do

you can drive it home and disconnecting the fuel injector would be a good idea..
disconnect the fuel injector by unplugging it

to unplug the injector, look at the front top of the motor....just infront of the valve cover and ontop of the intake manifold is the fuel rail.....locate the #2 injector...the plug is right ontop....you will probally need to use a pair of pliers to remove the small metal retaining clip on the back side of the plug.....maybe...it might have a red slider instead that stops you from pushing the release prongs on the clip....

sounds confusing....but i just cant think of an easy way to write this down[&:]

Old 05-03-2007, 12:04 PM
neisg1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: stripped spark plug

heli-coil’s work great and are fairly easy to install make sure you buy the right length (I think they come in three lengths). I would suggest using a good shop vac while drilling and tapping to keep the filings from falling into the cylinder. The filings will blow out of the cylinder once it is running but it’s better to keep them out in the first place.

Quick Reply: stripped spark plug