DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-neon-77/)
-   -   Question about tranny fluid (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-neon/131800-question-about-tranny-fluid.html)

fjlover 11-05-2007 11:04 AM

Question about tranny fluid

Hi, my friend has a 99 neon and he put dexron III in his tranny. My question is, will it harm his tranny with that fluid or he needs to drain the fluid out, change the filter and put ATF fluid in has car. Thanks in advance

das2123 11-05-2007 12:40 PM

RE: Question about tranny fluid

DON'T let him drive it!!!!!

Dexron will ruin the transmission and cause severe slipping. Have him drain and refill with Mopar ATF+4 or an equivalent.

fjlover 11-06-2007 01:47 AM

do i also change the tranny filter or no?

das2123 11-06-2007 08:25 AM

I would.

Slashwannabe 11-06-2007 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: das2123

DON'T let him drive it!!!!!

Dexron will ruin the transmission and cause severe slipping. Have him drain and refill with Mopar ATF+4 or an equivalent.

Total bull****, Das I sometimes wonder what your smoking,I ran Dexron 3 for 10 months and no problems with slipping before I even knew there was a difference.

The difference between Dexron 3 and ATF-4 is that ATF-4 lasts longer and doesn't need to be changed as often because it doesn't break down as fast, but slipping isn't going to happen. Its a higher standard of fluid and as long as your using new Dexron 3 you'll be allright but just change the fluid sooner.

In otherwords you'll be allright to drive it till next pay day with no ill effects,hell even till next yearorif you don't mind changing the fluidoften its allright to use Dexron 3.

Dexron 3 isn't going to make a problem that wasn't allready there, The slipping is a myth, You wont notice any difference, my ****ty transmission never slipped and the only reason that transmission went out was because of a bad planetary gear and it just went out faster with me doing Neutral drops, I did them in hopes of blowing up the trans because of the bad ass shaking it always did but it never was a result of the fluid what caused that tranny to go out..

My brothers Acclaim wanted ATF-4 too but all he ran for3 years was Dexron 3 no rpoblems at all. I run ATF-4 because it doesn't break down as fast and I had the option cuz I rebuilt mine. You'll be all right for a few months just replace fluid sooner than they recomend for ATF-4.

Your in no more harm than anybody else who runs Dexron 3 in the vehicles that say use it, in truth those vehicles would bennifit from ATF-4 as well, I beat the **** out of my car during the time I ran dexron and it stood the test, but ATF-4 is what I would go with if you have the choice, but its not the end of the world if you throw dexron in..

das2123 11-06-2007 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe
The difference between Dexron 3 and ATF-4 is that ATF-4 lasts longer and doesn't need to be changed as often because it doesn't break down as fast, but slipping isn't going to happen. Its a higher standard of fluid and as long as your using new Dexron 3 you'll be allright but just change the fluid sooner.
That is further proof that you have no idea what you are talking about as usual it seems! The biggest difference between the fluids is the friction modifiers.

Dexron/Mercon is designed for Fords NOT Chrysler transmissions. The design of the transmissions are very different and therefore require different lubricants.

If you wanna put it Dexron/Mercon in yours and tear it up, go ahead...but I would not suggest it to someone else!

spudsterier 11-06-2007 11:25 AM

i know that y durango runs horrible with dexron/mercon fluid in it.after draining it out and putting in the atf+4 it does perfect.....
my father in law actually blew out the tranny in his dakota by using dexron fluid

Slashwannabe 11-06-2007 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: das2123

That is further proof that you have no idea what you are talking about as usual it seems! The biggest difference between the fluids is the friction modifiers.

Dexron/Mercon is designed for Fords NOT Chrysler transmissions. The design of the transmissions are very different and therefore require different lubricants.

If you wanna put it Dexron/Mercon in yours and tear it up, go ahead...but I would not suggest it to someone else!

Yer still on the same crack you were when you were saying you can't use a Stratus 4 speed auto in a Neon because of "too much heat in the small engine bay". Your problem is you take other peoples word for it instead of investigating yourself.ATF-4 is preferable but there is no way you are going to toast your tranny on Dexron 3, it breaks down sooner so you change the fluid sooner, but it isnt a instant tranny death sentance.

You know alot about cars, I'm not denying your a smart guy but since you are so smart on most things people take anything you says as the gospel even when your not correct.

I'll pour 10 quarts of Dexron 3 into my 1992Dodge van which asks for ATF-4 and I'll let you drive that for a year, let me know if you have any problems...I serious doubt you will sinceits been in my family since it was new and has aquired 200,000 miles on its Dexron 3 service no slipping no hesitation perfect working transmission going on 330,000 miles. Seriously I invite you to come and watch me pour the Dexron 3 right in and then drive it for yourself. Don't get me wrong I recomend ATF-4 in my transmissions if you have it available but my family has been using Dexron 3 for YEARS in Moparswith no transmission failures, it breaks down over time and when it gets old is when it becomes a cancer because of less viscosity but as long as you change it sooner than recomended you'll be fine.

With all due respect Das I didn't tell him to pour Dexron in his transmission he allready did that, I'm just telling him he isnt going to toast it instantly by using Dexron. But rather I recomended he Get ATF-4 when he has time and money. Also buying Lucas Automatic transmission lube will bring the viscosity fears to a halt.

Like I said before, You arein no more trouble using Dexron 3 in your Neon than you are using Dexron 3 in your Chevy, it will wear your Chevy just as fast as it will wear your Dodge.ATF-4 is better and prolongs the life of your transmission more than Dexron, so what this means is the ATF-4 was designed to last over 100,000 miles, Dexron was designed for 80,000 Miles, usingDexron for a few weeks wont hurt nobody.

12 volt 11-06-2007 01:00 PM

ATX
"You *must* use type 7176 transmission fluid in all Chrysler-built automatic transmissions since the mid-70's. Dexron II and III are much more slippery than type 7176/ATF+3 and will cause shuddering during shifts. The latest version of the Mopar ATF is Mopar ATF+3 type 7176. It is more heat resistant than the prior ATF+2 formula.
Yes, there are aftermarket equivalents for the Mopar ATF+ auto trans fluid. I got a memo a few months ago advising that the following fluids are among those known to meet Chrysler's MS7176D specs:
Citgo ATF type 7176
Esso (Canada) ATF+2 Type 7176
Kendall Type 7176 ATF
Quaker State 7176 ATF
Pennzoil 7176ATF
Texaco Texamatic Fluid CS 7176M
Valvoline ATF for Chrysler Vehicles
"I have recently become aware of two synthetic fluids that meet 7176 specs:
Amsoil ATF (don't know if it's Chrysler-specific or not), which has been tested against the ATF+2 type 7176 specs and probably meets ATF+3 specs also.
Red line ATF for Chrysler vehicles, which has been tested against the ATF+3 type 7176 specs. Note that Red Line offers a specific ATF for Chrysler vehicles -- their Dexron/Mercon is *not* appropriate!
There certainly could be others out there that meet the 7176 specs that I am not aware of..."

MTX
"Just make sure you use the A578-specific semi-synthetic fluid (p/n 4773167) that's available at the dealer. It is specifically matched to the synchronizer material for good shifting, and has special friction modifiers to last a lifetime... You're on your own if you decide to use something else."

das2123 11-06-2007 02:07 PM

Yer still on the same crack you were when you were saying you can't use a Stratus 4 speed auto in a Neon because of "too much heat in the small engine bay". Your problem is you take other peoples word for it instead of investigating yourself.ATF-4 is preferable but there is no way you are going to toast your tranny on Dexron 3, it breaks down sooner so you change the fluid sooner, but it isnt a instant tranny death sentance.
I made to mention to crack, but I am still waiting on the PICS of the Stratus 4-speed transmission in the neon engine and a video of it running.

I have experience with Dexron ruining a neon tranmission, so I am speaking from experience not from what someone told me!!!