1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

blood clutches and no funnel...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:20 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blood clutches and no funnel...

Well I got the clutch out last night took me about 2 hours alot easyer the what the book and fsm make it look. got the clutch out and for any one that has installed a moduler clutch its not fun expecually by yourself. found out that the leak that i was asking about last week wasent the oil seals, replaced them anyways, the leak was from where the heater hose connects to the moter I had noticed a little anitifreeze there before but it wasent much so i dismissed it, well whats right below that hose??? Well ill tell you, i sware the engineers planed this...righte below that hose is the vent cap for the transmission... you geussed it it had been leaking down into my transmission making one hell of a mud pie with the clutch dust... probally why my clutch was soaked... tore down the old clutch it was toast probally about to snap. so i got most of it put back together last night, all i really had to do today is fill the mtx with atf4 put the wheels back on, hook up the computer again and reinstall the fans.... first thing i do, install the fans had to hold up the radiator hose to get it in there my hand slips and now im bleeding in 4 spots on my right hand.... pretty bad in one part...lol I thought i was doing so good not bleeding the whole time and its one of the simplest things that got me...hopefully it works... Dont be suprised if i post later today saying that my car is dead in the water and my transmission is in a million pieaces and i killed myself when the flywheel flys threw the bellhousing and hits me in the head...

Old 12-31-2007, 06:06 PM
johnneon
Captain
Default RE: blood clutches and no funnel...

lol,,lets hope everything goes good,,but i have heard of a flywheel comming off and going threw a guys hood before but its wasnt a neon it was a 80 camaro anyway good luck..

Old 12-31-2007, 06:25 PM
civiceater88
Professional

how hard is it to change a clutch by yourself????i have pretty good knowledge of cars/ my car i def know alot bout it i basically work on it everyday lol

Old 12-31-2007, 06:44 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

like i said it aint as hard as it looks in the chiltons....you use your 15 and 18mm sockets and wrenchs alot... lol it aint that bad one tip.... when trying to lift the transmission back into place lift it up and set it on a milk crate this makes the process alot easyer by your self. its probally 85 lbs or so and with the modular clutch in there its about 105 so the crate helps alot...

Old 12-31-2007, 10:16 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

Well the test drive went very well. A little jerky, was used to a clutch that was so wore out that you could put your foot on the brake and let go of the clutch and nothing would happen just idled. Did a massive burnout, that was fun... i know your not supposed to do it on a new clutch but the temptation was to great.... took the wife with me and she's like now it stinks in the car... lol

Old 12-31-2007, 11:25 PM
johnneon
Captain

thats cool as long as its not a burnt clutch stink,burnt rubber is the best smell..lol

Old 12-31-2007, 11:45 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

burnt rubber...been dealing with the burt clutch smell for a while now.... icky...yes i said icky wanna fight about it....lol family guy qoute of the day...

Old 01-01-2008, 01:15 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love taking out the trannys in these things....i actually might be doing that in the next day or 2 with the red r/t....
i just hook a chain up to it and stand infront of the car...then just lift it up and set it down...so reason for a jack or anything

Old 01-01-2008, 04:11 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

ok now I love my new clutch...went out to a party about 15 miles out of great falls at a friends house....the f1 clutch is amazing it grabs so hard its not funny.... however I have mm inserts and use the bobble strut from the dohc on my sohc the motor is compleatly solid had my 275lbs buddy try to wiggle it in the engine bay and he couldent get it to budge so everytime i let go of that clutch its just bang bang bang, But sure is nice being able to acually accelerate in 5th gear and the clutch not slipping... hell its nice to accelerate in 3rd for that matter...lol

Old 01-01-2008, 10:12 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the F1 clutch even grips really well under 18 pounds of boost

Quick Reply: blood clutches and no funnel...