1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

96 neon base: fuel or something problem

Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 AM
gramo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 neon stalling problems: need HELP

I just bought a 96 neon 4 cyl that was laid up for 2 yrs. Guy put new fuel pump on it. It ran rough so I did the following:

Replaced the following: 1. new coil pack. 2 Camshaft sensor. 3 crankshaft sensor. 4. new fuel pump relay and it has a new fuel pump in the car. I have drove it on and off for over month and keep getting the same ol problem. It will run fine for about 40 miles or so then start to stall. I'll keep starting it and it acts like it starving for gas, will then fire up and drive fine. Little bit later mabe another 15 miles it starts to stall even worse and kill, if I want long enough it will go a few miles an hour enough to get it home. The won't run right the next day. Been in the shop twice and the mech. says there are no codes and he's not sure why its running bad.

Any help or idea's would be great. I have been late for work 3 times in the last two weeks and can't keep this up.

Thanks
Gramo

Last edited by gramo; 12-18-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: needed to update
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 PM
streetracer88
All Star

Try changing out the Fuel Filter if that doesnt fix it maybe the Timing is off just a thought but to me it sounds more like Timing is Off but a fuel filter is cheap change the fuel filter out runs a fuel system cleaner threw it and see if that works if not i would have the Timing Checked out

Old 12-20-2012, 12:27 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I agree sounds like you have some crap floating in the tank getting sucked up in the sock from time to time. Keep an eye out for the codes. Does the car use any coolant?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

check the wires to both O2 sensors and really while you are at it, to the Crank position, cam position sensors.

If the O2 sensor wires have any rub, burn, or bare spots, cracks etc. they can cause a temporary short. Any short in that circuit will trip the Fuel relay, shutting off the fuel supply until it resets and could be a possible cause if it isn't goop in the tank.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 PM
gramo
Amateur
Default fuel pump

The car was at the shop for two days runing fine. Finally when the mechanic told me to come pick it up he went to move it and it started acting up. He ran it for two days and it ran fine so he was having a problem diagnosis what was wrong with it. Its the fuel pump. Said the fuel pressure drop to like 5% when the car started stalling and wanting to die.

Just put it in back in August so its under warrenty. Going to take it out and put in another tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks
Shawn

Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

5% fuel drop wont make the car want to die. Need to see at least a 50% fuel drop for it to stall on its own. The fuel drop could of been a result of a short or sensor. For example when the motor is shut off, the fuel pump shuts off. So if something made the motor stall for less then a second it would of fluctuated the fuel pressure. Hard to tell without seeing it. But if the mechanic says the fuel pump will fix it, and it doesn't, its on his dime.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM
gramo
Amateur
Smile 96 neon base: fuel or something problem

My bad, I ment to say the fuel pressure went down to like 5% when the care was acting up, that what caused it to stall out. getting the pump put in tomorrow. I'd do it but I'm working 12 hrs a day and don't have time at all. Go to work in the dark, come home in the dark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 neon base: fuel or something problem