1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Thud from stop to fast acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 05:51 PM
HobbyFarmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thud from stop to fast acceleration

I just got a ‘98 Neon H, automatic, SOHC 134k miles. I’s been sitting idle for a year. I changed the valve cover gasket, vacuum lines, oil, filter, and spark plugs. I also re-soldered the instrument cluster due to speedo issues. I am getting a thud from the front end when accelerating quickly from stop. It doesn’t happen with slow acceleration. Any ideas?

Old 05-22-2023, 06:22 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by HobbyFarmer
I just got a ‘98 Neon H, automatic, SOHC 134k miles. I’s been sitting idle for a year. I changed the valve cover gasket, vacuum lines, oil, filter, and spark plugs. I also re-soldered the instrument cluster due to speedo issues. I am getting a thud from the front end when accelerating quickly from stop. It doesn’t happen with slow acceleration. Any ideas?

Unless you're hitting something, it sounds like your engine mounts. There are to on the passenger side and a transmission mount on the drivers side. The upper comes apart and part of it is a bear to get to. The lower is easy to replace. The transmission mount is not easy, but not too bad.

The following users liked this post:
HobbyFarmer (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 06:33 PM
HobbyFarmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I’ll look

Quick Reply: Thud from stop to fast acceleration