1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Speaker size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:05 AM
streetracer88
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Speaker size?

i am wondering what size speakers are in my 96' plymouth neon the very front ones that are covered by the dash and the door speakers and the very back speakers if anyone knows what size they are in order that would be great thanks

Old 03-29-2009, 09:40 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dash is a 3.5" but some aftermarket 3.5's wont fit properly
door is a 6 3/4 but many will argue about this
rear is a 6x9

Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 PM
streetracer88
All Star

thanks for the help as everyone can tell my speakers are shot only the one tweeter in the front works and it sounds like garbage

Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 AM
PFried
Default Doors

I would recommend the 6.75" or 6.5" for the doors. I put some 5.25" in my daughters car last weekend and it was a pain in the ***. We considered drilling the door and or making brackets with screws and nuts on each end. but ended up modifying the Stock mounting rings and the grills. It may have been easier to mount them in the door trim panel but the manual window crank handles would not clear the grills. We may have been able to mount the speakers to the back side of the trim panel and left the stock grills in place but in my opinion it would not have been as solid. Door speakers should be mounted as solid as possible.So we notched the stock rings with a dremel tool to clear the 4 mounting tabs on the 5.25" speakers. Then we used the spring steel clips and screws that came with the speakers to 'sandwich' the mounting rings between the speakers and grilles. We could probably have used all 4 screws but it was difficult enough to get everything to line up with only two. Make sure that the speaker wiring terminalswill be towards the front of the doors when the speakers are mounted since the wires are just long enough to reach.

image 1

image 2

image 3

image 4

image 5

So sure. You can put 51/4 inch speakers in the door. but why would you?

I would appreciate some info and/or recommendations for replacement of the reciever/CD player now since the front channel on the factory unit is dead.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

buy the correct harness and mount kit... any place that sells aftermarket decks... with the harness and mounting kit its about a 30min job if you done it before and you take your time.... if you haven't done it before it may take a bit longer to get the dash apart and back together but still its easy...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

The door speakers are 6 3/4", but extremely shallow. Be sure to take that into consideration when you buy new ones. Also, it is very easy to find converter kits from 6 3/4" to 6 1/2" and they are cheap. 6 1/2" speakers are way easier and cheaper to find and buy. The shallowness of the replacement speaker is the key issue here.

As for the ones under the dash, they are 3 1/2", but also extremely shallow. It is oh so easy to pop the top dashboard cover off and see for yourself. The Haynes manual tells you how, but all you need is a flat screwdriver to pop the two front holding clips and then pull up and toward yourself. It just pops right off and on like legos. You then need a short handled screwdriver to get out the two screws on the speakers, and they just come out very easy. They go in easy too if the replacements are the correct size.

If you find some that are the correct size, resistance, and depth that will work, let me know brand and model as I have been looking.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 01-05-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Speaker size?