1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

srt4 exhaust on 1g

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:59 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by justinsanders; 06-15-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:08 AM
justinsanders
Captain

i've got a hell of alot of bolt ons on my neon as shown in my sig. and im only claiming about 10 to maybe 15 extra horsepower over stock. and i am running a small cherrybomb muffler (not glasspack) right b4 the srt section because it was so loud and annoying without any muffler and it did reduce the hp a lil. but ya im only guessing i've added 10-15 hp at most

Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dipsherry
200hp man that more than my car makes lol i need to put it back on... :-)
dont forget to add the turbo with 18 pound of boost....and lots lots more

Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Moparmatt440
Veteran

Originally Posted by spudsterier
its not the built motor that gave it that tone...it was the turbo...
hell throwing that complete exhaust on my car added almost 200 hp.....

oh and moparmatt....i understand the whole reasearch part that your talking about, but it amazes me that you would believe what the manufacturer says the horse power increase would be....its called advertising.....same reason manufacturers will say a cold air intake will give you a 20 hp increase, and UDP will add 15hp, a header will add 25hp, and so on...
Oh I know most of it they shoot for higher hp output, all Im saying is that it could add up to 10hp with a better flowing exhaust system, due to the fact that factory systems don't flow that well. Thats all I have ever been saying, thien this mod guy says I living in a xbox game world, Im sorry, but if you have never tried both systems then you cant say much. Its the same difference going with a catted dp to a non on a turbo you feel the difference.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 PM
das2123
Legend

I had the pacesetter exhaust cat-back 2.5" exhaust system on one of my older neons. Didn't feel any added benefit except noise from it. Money would have been better spent elsewhere. EXHAUST PIPING ISN'T THE NEON's BIGGEST PROBLEM!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

It is if you wanna get "noticed/heard."

First off, articles indicating a certain hp from a part are wrong 98% of the time. As most know there are gains at the crank, which decreases more at the wheels. This is called drivetrain loss. To imply that a company making udp can say they will all have the same gain on every car is fictitious. A turbo neon makes far more use of an open exhaust than a n/a neon. By that, I mean there are plenty of areas to address a neon's performance than a larger pipe for more noise. Noise does not equal horsepower. Again, noise does not equal horsepower.

Someone looking to add more power to a neon would do well to start with how the car thinks. The tuning program in the pcm. It is tuned for economy, not performance. Lean the rich mixture, and set the timing at the cam, and crank to TDC. Now that the car is thinking with performance in mind, youd add bolt ons to this build plan. Head work, cam udp, intake, etc. A larger exhaust pipe on a n/a car is dead last in the race of which is going to actually effect the performance of the car. A turbo car needs an open pipe, as all the backpressure require come from the turbo. An n/a neon is the opposite. The 2.0L is not flowing that hard.

Last edited by Ghost Neon 2; 06-16-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Moparmatt440
Veteran

I totally agree with you 100%, but a bigger tube also deepens the exhaust a bit, yea if you go a straight through on any car its gonna be way loud. If you have a header why not open up the exhaust system too, yea the big problem is in the pcm, factory perameters suck, look at the difference in an auto trans when left in just drive and then manuelly shifting it. And the point about the back pressure is what I have been saying too, a SRT exhaust does nothing for a n/a car, no matter if you put a 36" resonator on it it still doesnt work. If you up grade to a 2.5 inch system that part is done, for when you do get the head ported and a better cam and intake manifold. I have just been triing to say that a exhaust system plays a big part in the cars performance as well, if you can put a bunch more air in it has to have the same if not bigger exit. For example a stock SRT-4, 2.5 flows good 3" way better but thats a turbo car, a n/a car cannot flow more then a 2.5, unless its turboed. The more you bolt onto the car the more you need a better flowing exhaust. I swear that all I have been posting, and the about 10hp was a rough estimate, but did I ever say it would be whp?????? no I just said about 10hp gain. On my 04 SXT I had a OBX header, stock cat, the 2.5 exhaust, Jet stage 2 chip, and a injen cai.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i have had stock exhausts, 2.5" pipe, 2.25" pipe, dohc mufflers, sohc mufflers, vibrant mufflers, flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber mufflers, bossal mufflers, pacesetter header, ebay header, open exhaust, new cat, no cat, and all in almost any combination and there wasnt any noticable differance with any of it besides a header....unless there were other upgrades internally or electronically.....
on a stock or mildly modded neon, there is no use for any exhaust larger then 2.25"

Last edited by spudsterier; 06-16-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Moparmatt440
and the about 10hp was a rough estimate, but did I ever say it would be whp?????? no I just said about 10hp gain. .
Where do you measure hp then? The crank? Your rear end? I am being serious though. That is why you took your old setup to the dyno. True power is measured at the wheels. Not by how it feels. You did not "feel" your way to 303whp 388wtq in your sig. It was measured at the wheels on a machine. Das asked you refrain from such comments without hard evidence, and this is why. We are not debating with you on how your 04 felt. I ran cars as fast as your srt is not with a n/a dohc neon with bolt ons. It had a stock exhaust pipe and a dohc muffler. Why did I leave oout the exhaust pipe? The car was not taking in enough air to be concerned with getting more air out. Stock head. Stock intake manifold. There is no reason to even think about your exhaust system, save for getting looked at in parting lots.

You turbo guys have a different way of thinking, as your car performs differently.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:18 AM
das2123
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparmatt440
Jet stage 2 chip
You just lost all credibility with me with that mod. You do know the Jet Chip is a total scam? There is a huge post on the .org where a guy bought and dynoed his car and lost HP!

Quick Reply: srt4 exhaust on 1g