DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-neon-77/)
-   -   96 Dodge Neon - No Spark, No Start (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-neon/217308-96-dodge-neon-no-spark-no-start.html)

Jr. Mechanic 10-29-2009 11:01 AM

Guys, I had this exact same problem... Over two years ago. And guess what? The car is still sitting in my driveway with no spark...

The scenario is exactly the same as the OP. I did a head gasket, timing belt, and water pump. Ran great for several starts, when suddenly it shut of without warning. No codes, timing is dead on (reset thinking the belt slipped, just as the OP did), injectors are firing, 12 volts on the center green/orange coil wire, NO ground pulse from the two outer wires running from the PCM.

I replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, wiring harness, PCM (twice), coil, plugs, wires, reset the timing, and I still have no spark.

If you do a search, you will find my thread from a couple years ago.

Also, if you happen to find a solution, PLEASE post it. Without this car running, the most people are willing to pay is $300 bucks. I have more than that into it just fighting with this issue...

kftzpatrick 10-29-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic (Post 1856733)
Guys, I had this exact same problem... Over two years ago. And guess what? The car is still sitting in my driveway with no spark...

The scenario is exactly the same as the OP. I did a head gasket, timing belt, and water pump. Ran great for several starts, when suddenly it shut of without warning. No codes, timing is dead on (reset thinking the belt slipped, just as the OP did), injectors are firing, 12 volts on the center green/orange coil wire, NO ground pulse from the two outer wires running from the PCM.

I replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, wiring harness, PCM (twice), coil, plugs, wires, reset the timing, and I still have no spark.

If you do a search, you will find my thread from a couple years ago.

Also, if you happen to find a solution, PLEASE post it. Without this car running, the most people are willing to pay is $300 bucks. I have more than that into it just fighting with this issue...

Did the PCM's that you used have the same Chrysler P/N as the original? I'm thinking this might be the issue with mine?!?

noissesboyobyalp 10-29-2009 12:18 PM

this is rediculious.... the messed up part too is there is always a solution. i just don't understand when i change everything in the motor and it still has no spark, then i had spark for 5 minutes and i did a couple of hoo raas and then i lost it again. i even ran spare grounds to the head, to the coil pack bolts, to the block, and 2 to the frame.... im stumped.

kftzpatrick 10-29-2009 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by noissesboyobyalp (Post 1856813)
this is rediculious.... the messed up part too is there is always a solution. i just don't understand when i change everything in the motor and it still has no spark, then i had spark for 5 minutes and i did a couple of hoo raas and then i lost it again. i even ran spare grounds to the head, to the coil pack bolts, to the block, and 2 to the frame.... im stumped.

check the fuel pump fuse, that also controls power to the PCM.

cwebbatya 10-29-2009 02:24 PM

Scarryyyy.. i have this same motor.. :X

noissesboyobyalp 10-29-2009 03:44 PM

i check all the fuses right after i lost spark the second time, everything is still fine... im starting to think that since i had the coil and cam sensor plug changed around, the pulses of 12v's got sent to the crank sensor which is only suppsosed to have 8v's and maybe it blew out for real this time...

kftzpatrick 10-29-2009 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by noissesboyobyalp (Post 1857026)
i check all the fuses right after i lost spark the second time, everything is still fine... im starting to think that since i had the coil and cam sensor plug changed around, the pulses of 12v's got sent to the crank sensor which is only suppsosed to have 8v's and maybe it blew out for real this time...

You mean the Camshaft Sensor, right? Anyway ... I have a new one sitting right here if you're interested :D

noissesboyobyalp 10-29-2009 09:18 PM

no i mean the crank sensor, if it takes 8v's, i think some of the crank shaft wires are connected with the cam sensor and maybe it gave it 12v's somehow

kftzpatrick 10-30-2009 04:59 PM

The crank sensor and cam sensor have 8V separately, if you had the coil plug connected to the cam sensor, it would not have sent 12V to the crank sensor (you would have had to hooked the coil plug directly to the crank sensor). The PCM is what controls voltage to the sensors.

bg1995redneon 12-17-2009 03:59 PM

Solution Found?

Did you ever find the solution to this problem? Or did you finally decide to push it off a cliff after setting it on fire? :icon_goofygrin: