1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Neon '95 Problem. Possible Coil/Fuel Pump Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:04 PM
wivelden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Neon '95 Problem. Possible Coil/Fuel Pump Problem

Let me start at the beginning...
A few weeks ago the car would jump whilst driving like it was trying to cut out so I checked the sparks and it was only firing on 1 and 4. So I replaced the spark plugs. It was still the same so then I replaced the ignition coil with a used one from a stratus. Now it was fine for a week or so until it did it again so I replaced the plug cables and then I found that the connecting wire into the coil was dry rotted and showing bare wire. This was shorting out causing cyclinder 2 & 3 not to fire. I thought this would cure the problem which I guess it did to a point (it doesnt jump anymore) but now the car will just die at random times. When it does the fuel pump wont kick in so the car wont start. I have had to have it towed twice now. However sometimes the fuel pump will just kick back in again and it would start. This can be anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours before it will kick back in.

Also before the car dies sometimes it will lose power other times it will just die.

Is this the fuel pump (which was changed about 18 months ago) or is the coil bad again because of the bad wire shorting out?
Does the coil send a signal to the fuel pump?

To summarise...the car will die. It will refuse to start because no fuel is getting to the engine because the fuel pump wont kick in (You can hear it when you turn the key). It will kick in again anytime (few minutes to hours).

I hope I have given enough info to get some help back. I am in desperate need to get this fixed in the next day or so because its my only car and although it may be a piece of crap it gets me to work and back.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:40 PM
neisg1
Veteran

No the coil does not send any signal to the fuel pump. It sounds like you solved the coil problem. I would try changing or swapping out the fuel pump relay. The fuel pump issue could also be corroded connectors or bad grounds.

Last edited by neisg1; 10-18-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Here are some other things you can do/check.

1) Since your car is a 95, replace the external fuel filter. Beside the rear passenger tire, next to the fuel pump. It is the only model with an external filter and is easy to replace.

2) Do the key dance (3 times on/off quickly, then back to on and watch the check engine light for "blink" codes. it will blink and pause so count the blinks between pauses and that gives you a number. There are two numbers per code. Ignore 12 and 55, but anything else, write down.

3) Get an ODB-II reader (borrow one from Autozone or let them do it for you). There may be some detailed codes there.

4) Swap your Fuel Pump relay (located on the Power Distribution Center (PDC) behind the battery) with the one for your car horn (assuming your horn works). If the relay is overheating and shutting down, it will cause the problems you are having. If that makes no difference, do the same thing with the Auto Shutdown Relay (located with the FPR and the horn relay in the PDC). Same thing there.

Quick Reply: Neon '95 Problem. Possible Coil/Fuel Pump Problem