1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Harmonic Balancer Pully Bolt Snapped

Old 05-08-2010, 02:29 AM
TrevorNeon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer Pully Bolt Snapped

Hi,

I purchased a 1996 SOHC Dodge Neon about four years ago and have been driving it daily ever since. I have been doing all my on repair work but so far I have not had to change anything other than break pads, rotors and a power stearing pump.

The car now has 127,000 miles on it and I am starting to worry that the timing belt is due for a change. However, during my inspections of the work area I noticed that the bolt that goes though the harmonic balancer into the crank shaft was missing. After looking more closly I see that part of the bolt has been snapped off deep insde! The balancer pully itself seems to be on there pretty well without the bolt and obviously has never come loose in all the years I have owned the car.

So this poses a bit of a problem...How can I do this job withough sorting this isse first?? Can this issue even be sorted? Is it worth it??

I'm tempted to just drive the car till the belt snaps and then scrap it. It's a shame though because its been running great the whole time I've had it.

Any input would be most helpful.

Many thanks!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:24 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

well it stays on there pretty well I would not worry about it. just rent the puller and pull the pully off and tap it back on there and call it good. all it drives the the PS / AC and alternator.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Most of the neons I have owned did not have this bolt secured. Even with after market udp, they seem to stay on just fine without the bolt.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:56 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrevorNeon
I'm tempted to just drive the car till the belt snaps and then scrap it. It's a shame though because its been running great the whole time I've had it.
Why ruin it then? Change the timing belt, idler pulley and water pump and keep running it.

I won't advise you to run the pulley without the bolt, but I do know people who have done it for several years without any adverse affects.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:24 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On that bolt that's giving you problems, did you try hammering 12 point sockets on the bolt? You may even have to try metric and standard to get one that just the right size to go on it and bite right. If you can get one on it, might try one of these for removing it

https://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith-...e263b88e7d87dd

You can get a cheaper version of them but cant speak to the performance of them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer Pully Bolt Snapped