1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

burning too much gas and black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 AM
dmcc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning too much gas and black smoke

this thing burns 1/4 tank of gas in 20 miles I have been having trouble since I replaced the fuel pump and tank I had a steel tank and replaced it with a plastic one not a exact fit but close enough could the fuel pressure regulator be different

have done a complete tune up and changed o2 sensors last year different fuel body does this have a egr valve or could it be a cat converter

Old 05-23-2010, 03:06 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

What is your power like? Sluggish? OK?
Car Mileage?
Ever rebuilt?
Head work done? When?
Any other details you think you would like to share about the car?

Yes the car has an EGR valve. If SOHC, it is on the firewall side of the head on the driver side - under the air intake pipe.

The CAT converter would not cause you to lose gas or oil, and in fact, would do its best to eliminate it from the exhaust by burning it in its high heat environment.

The plastic tank came with a new fuel pump unit too? Unusual. If you used the old one in the new tank, did you make sure to align it properly when you put it back in? If you didn't, then you may be getting a false indication due to improper placement of the sending unit. If you put in a new one, same deal.

Sounds like you may need some engine work done. If the compression levels are OK, then at the least, a new head job to replace the valve seals.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 05-23-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
dmcc
Default burning too much gas

Actually my friend made that post for me and didnt have all the facts i did change the steel tank to a plastic one. Come to find out it was the pressure regulator in the new pump that went bad and i also changed the fuel filter thinking that was it it helped a little in the end what it turned out to be was the throttle body sensor connections were not on all the way and it got dirt and oil on the contacts after cleaning them off it now runs like a top thanks for your help

Quick Reply: burning too much gas and black smoke