Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 dohc leaking oil pretty diecent

looks like its comming on the rack area

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 PM
ohioguru
Veteran

jw but this seems more like a statement and not a question. i think a little more info would be great. is it coming from block trans or poss power steering? what color is fluid?

Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM
96dohcsportcoupe
Amateur

oil as stated. no clue where its comming from exactly but its like under the exhaust header on the rack its soaked with oil. any ideas

Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Check the crank sensor (right above the oil filter connector), check the oil pressure sending unit (on the back side of the engine near the tranny and just above the rack - most likely is the culprit).

After that, you have to check the oil pan, head gasket, and the front and real seals.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 AM
96dohcsportcoupe
Amateur

thx for the reply. what are the symptoms of the oil pressure sending unit failing

Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Well I was not talking about the sensor itself failing, just leaking oil creating a mess around it and behind it - mine is leaking and I'm replacing it. When I put in the new one, I am putting some plumbers teflon tape on the threads to help prevent leaks there too. The sensor casing can get cracked and leak out when they get older.

The sensor has a strain guage inside and oil pressing in causes a voltage change in the strain guage which is interpreted as good/bad oil pressure. I believe that as the pressure increases, resistance in the strain guage increases causing a drop in the output voltage.

If the output voltage stays too high, then the PCM senses it as a low pressure problem and the PCM trips the light. It will either come on and stay on, or flicker at you. Either way, you have to confirm/deny an oil pressure problem by putting an oil pressure guage on it and if it is OK, then you have to assume the sensor is bad.

The PCM only reads the voltage given to it from the sensor, and there is really nothing to go wrong there - unless the PCM itself is going bad - which is rare, and when they do go bad, you have more issues then oil leaks to worry about.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 11-20-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM
96dohcsportcoupe
Amateur

so Wht if its just leaking untill the level gets low enough to trip the light? I don't have time or money to put in her. I just redid the whole front brakes, even the hoses.. so I might just give up on Chrysler. my zx2 never had half the problems and I wrang it out at least once a day. I baby this and she's leaking oil. is there anywhere elce that is right ubove the center of the steering rack that could be leaking. it drips on the ground. like a drop every 3-8 sec. I'm bout to just keep dropping oil and driving her till she ****s out. Ik its Prolly not a big fix. but honesty. neons suck doggy Dick. I want my zx2 back or my 1g tibby thanks for the reply

Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Advance auto parts has part # S4178 BWD Oil Pressure Switch (Light) with a limited lifetime replacement warranty for $13. Teflon tape at any hardware store - $2.

A quart of oil is anywhere from $3 to $5 nowadays.

You do the math. If it is your switch, it will cost you less after just two or three quarts of oil - if that is where it is leaking.

Take it somewhere where you can put it on a rack, or equivalent setup and get under it while it is running to see where the leaking is coming from.

Take a high pressure washer with soap dispenser (like at a car wash) and try to clean off the muck first to get a better chance at finding it, just be careful and not spray your electrical components directly - especially while running, and don't spray the block directly if the engine is hot. Let it cool down first.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 11-21-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:08 AM
96dohcsportcoupe
Amateur

o.k taking her to a car wash today so hopefully ill figure this out. ill keep yall posted

Quick Reply: 96 dohc leaking oil pretty diecent