1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

spoolboy>fmu?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM
blk99neon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spoolboy>fmu?

is there anyway i can use a fuel managment unit instead of making a spoolboy mod?

Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

FMU goes on the return line. Spoolyboy mod is adding a return line so the FMU has a place to go. BTW its not an FMU its a RRFPR. Only way around it is to get MS or AEM FIC with big injectors, but even then its still limited by the base fuel pressure. The spoolyboy mod is the easiest part, if its seems to intimidating I would rethink the whole turbo upgrade and maybe just stick with some bolt ons.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:21 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by I_Ride_Neon
FMU goes on the return line. Spoolyboy mod is adding a return line so the FMU has a place to go. BTW its not an FMU its a RRFPR. Only way around it is to get MS or AEM FIC with big injectors, but even then its still limited by the base fuel pressure. The spoolyboy mod is the easiest part, if its seems to intimidating I would rethink the whole turbo upgrade and maybe just stick with some bolt ons.
Also wanted to add that the FMU only raises the pressure after a fuel regulator. Only cars that come factory with a regulator and return line can use an FMU. A RRFPR is the same thing as a FMU except you can set a "base" pressure. So it has that extra function that is needed if there is no factory return line and regulator.

From votecs website: "The Vortech Standard Fuel Management Unit (FMU) is designed for use on multi-point electronic fuel injected engines. It is a secondary fuel regulator that installs in series with a stock regulator on the return line to the tank. The unit increases fuel pressure in proportion to boost pressure (this assumes the pump being utilized is of sufficient pressure and flow to deliver the fuel required). All Vortech FMUs feature CNC machined, 6061-T6 aluminum construction and a blue anodized finish"

Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 PM
blk99neon
Amateur

Great! it doesnt sound intimidating at all. someone just told me to use a rrfpr instead of a spoolboy mod. but obviously they didnt know what they were talking about lol. will the srt4 injectors work with no problem? (plugs, ecu mods etc?)

Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I think they do lol. I never used them, I always bought new aftermarket ones. You may need injectors pig tails off a dohc neon, or maybe it was a 98+ sohc or dohc. Sorry I cant remember that part, you may need to swing by the junkyard if your pigtails aren't the same. We boosted my car in 2 days during winter outside lol. I had everything ready to go, It was just plug and play. I would suggest to build the parts up before you dig in. I even bought a sending unit from the junkyard to modify so I had it ready. Of course put in a walboro 255 HP.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 PM
blk99neon
Amateur

what injectors did u buy so i can try to do this without any rigging.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by blk99neon
what injectors did u buy so i can try to do this without any rigging.
It was a 96 dodge neon and I used the Bonneville SS injectors I had already laying around. I did a little research on the srt-4 injectors and found any +98 pigtails will work. So if your car is 98-99 they will bolt up, otherwise you will need to throw in new pigtails with srt-4 injectors. 95-97 have the style I had. I also used Accell injectors 24 lb/hr but they didnt flow enough for the pressure I was running. The bonneville ones were about 29lb/hr and I ran about 11.5-12.2 a/f at 5-6psi which was dead on the money to be plenty safe.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:08 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Search this Thread