1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Am I able to reuse Felpro Head bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Am I able to reuse Felpro Head bolts?

I have a 95 sohc backup engine that I want to use both the head bolts and head off of and put it on my 98. The 95 head bolts were new felpro ones that I had installed on it and they had only 4 months of use on them prior to pulling the motor.

I know its not recommended but I am desperate, maybe I can check the torque of them a month or two later and see if they are holding?

Thanks much.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technically no. But I have reused head bolts many times in the past. Mostly with success. A few times they broke. The thing about reusing them is that if they work they work, if they dont they will break before you reach the torque spec.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Thanks for the quick reply bud,

Yeah I decided that getting my potential GF flowers today was more important than buying head bolts so I am broke once more.

Hopefully I will have success.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:05 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain

well bolts worked like a champ...my harbor freight torque wrench was being lame and torqued the first head bolt to 75ft lbs! I thought something didn't seem right so I found my dads good torque wrench and did the rest of the bolts. Took me 12 hours from 9pm to 9am from start to finish on the car, but that included stripping & prepping the parts motor & taking new valve seals out of my old head and swapping them onto the new head which took forever using a 13mm wrench to pivot off the rocker shafts and then I had my dad magnet the keepers out while I held on to the valve springs lol. Sad thing is I could have swapped the engine faster, but thats no fun! and I like the fact my bottom end has 254,000 miles on it. I was also drunk,tired and losing tools so needless to say the wind wasn't quite in my sail to do it faster, but she fired up right away!.

Turns out that all of my valves hit the pistons from the tensioner pully bearing wearing out...glad I swapped the head.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 12-19-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good deal glad to hear u got it up and running

Quick Reply: Am I able to reuse Felpro Head bolts?