1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1999 Neon Stalls Slowing Down From Highway Speeds

Old 12-11-2018, 02:05 PM
SheaCulb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Neon Stalls Slowing Down From Highway Speeds

My 1999 Dodge Neon Sport with a 2.0L DOHC, automatic transmission, and 175k miles has been doing this for a few months. When slowing down, with light brake applied, from highway speeds (55mph+), the car will just die. I then pull over while it's still coasting and try to restart. Try to restart it and it just turns over. After about 20 seconds of retrying, the car will start back up. It only does this on the freeway and when slowing down with the brake applied for a few seconds - doesn't do it instantaneously, seems like a long coast of 5+ seconds is what causes it.

Little bit of recent maintenance info:
- Replaced spark plugs and ignition coil (about 2,000 miles ago).
- Replaced the fuel pump, ignition lock cylinder, and ignition starter switch (less than 500 miles ago).

None of those items were replaced due to this issue, just regular maintenance. The issue started happening somewhere between replacing the plugs/ignition coil and fuel pump/cylinder/starter switch. I'm thinking maybe a short circuit, but don't want to try and chase wires around. Has anyone ran into this issue or a similar issue? Any ideas on what to try? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SheaCulb; 12-11-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:20 PM
SheaCulb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE

I replaced the IAC valve, camshaft sensor, and crankshaft sensor. Have not gotten it to stall as previously described, but something new has emerged. It now gets really rough and the RPMs drop to 200-400 while coming to a stop. Usually start at around 10 MPH. After the car stops, it will kick the RPMs back up and idle fine. Occasionally it will stall out completely, but restarts fine. Other than that, it drives fine.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Neon Stalls Slowing Down From Highway Speeds