1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

what could i use the 2.4l out of for my dohc neon

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Womerk28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what could i use the 2.4l out of for my dohc neon

i heard there is a swap but dont know what kinda of car and how hard it is,and what i would neeed

Old 03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what could i use the 2.4l out of for my dohc neon

The Dodge 2.4L DOHC was available in bunch of cars from the Caravan, to the cloud cars (Stratus/Cirrus/Breeze), to the PT Cruiser. If you want to keep accessories (a/c, power steering), it will take a little work with various brackets and a grinder... You have to grind down the front motor mount a little. You'll have to get a specially made mount for the passenger side (or modify the Stratus mount a little). You'll need bigger injectors. You'll need to rotate the cam sensor 90 degrees, or rewire the injectors. If you don't have the bulge hood, you'll want one. Other than that, it's a pretty straightforward swap, as far as swaps go... Figure a good 2-3 full days with hand tools and a couple of friends helping out in your garage/driveway. You'll want to rent a cherry picker (engine hoist), and a Haynes/Chiltons/FSM is a huge help.

Keep in mind you won't be gaining any power over the 2.0L DOHC, just more torque. One of the cams (intake?) from the DOHC is more agressive and will get you a little more power. Overall, the swap is best suited to a boosted application. The 2.0L is already on the edge of an acceptable rod length/stroke ratio for a naturally aspirated performance engine, and the 2.4L is worse. But it's a great platform for a turbo. I will say that the 2.4L has been done very well naturally aspirated, to the tune of over 220 HP to the wheels on the stock pistons/rods.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: what could i use the 2.4l out of for my dohc neon