1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1998 plymouth neon cranks but doesnt start

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 PM
t-rav_starkey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 plymouth neon cranks but doesnt start

i really need some help with this one. ive replaced the fuel pump, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, and im gettin ready to replace the ignition switch if it could possibly be whats wrong with it. ok here is the story. i bought the car off of a friend and he said he was driving down the road and it jus died and wouldnt start back up. and like i said ive replaced everythin that the codes were showing and now there is no more codes to go by so im stuck. when i turn the key on all the lights work and everything but when im cranking it im getting no spark to the coil pack at all. i put the light tester thing on the plug that goes into the coil pack and im not getting ny power to it either. so would that be the ignition switch? i checked the timing belt and its good and it was replaced not long before the car broke down so i know thats not it. im extremely puzzled with this ny help would be great thanks

Old 04-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Neongreg88
Rookie

check the coil wires and make sure u coild is good and plugs and ect and it could be ur igniton switch..... also the time mit me back off or could jumped that means u gotta re time it it could be doing that cuz the times all ****ed.. but check the wires that go to the coild and all the fuese and back sure there not blown

Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Nuklhed074
Veteran

very unlikely its your timing or ignition...not ruling it out just stating..have the coil tested or do it yourself if you know how also pull the plugs and look for fouledness lol or corrosion also check the 3 wire plug that goes to your coil make sure its plugged in and in good condition

Old 04-20-2010, 12:51 PM
whitebread

same issue with 97 stratus. replaced plugs, wires, coil pack. leaving now for an ignition switch..... where is it under the hood?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

What does your fuel pressure gauge read? Do you hear the fuel pump priming each time before you attempt to start the car?

Everyone, check your ASD relay under the hood. Simply plug it into the horn relay side of the fuse box and hit the horn. If you get nothing, the relay is bad.

On a whim, are there any frayed wires under the hood? More specifically, in the back of the engine block? A common problem with neons is the exposed section of wires on the engine harness that run beneath the exhaust manifold / header. The heat over time can damage the wires causing exposed wires leading to shorts. The wires from the engine harness can ground out on the axle shaft, causing the fuel pump fuse to blow. The car would instantly die for what would seem to be nothing. Those not running a downstream O2 sensor come to know this problem very well. Check those wires back there, and bring a towel and they are likely to be covered in dirt and oil. wipe down the wires stemming off to the connector first, and branch out from there. HTH

Last edited by Ghost Neon 2; 04-21-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:52 PM
whitebread

Get the Neon fixed? I too have replaced nearly everything. Trying to see where I can get the ECM tested.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:15 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by whitebread
Get the Neon fixed? I too have replaced nearly everything. Trying to see where I can get the ECM tested.
Bad news whitebread. The ONLY way to have a PCM tested is with everything in place and connected, in the car, and at a repair facility that has the million dollar equipment (exaggeration, but not by much) to connect and read it in-situ. Sorry.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:02 AM
whitebread

Appreciate the heads up. Guess its off to donate that kidney.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Nuklhed074
Veteran

also another tip when your car breaks down never jus start buying parts try to diagnose the problem your car needs 3 thing air fuel and spark so if it stops those are 3 easy things to check. also check the cam and crank sensor as both of mine took a crap at the same time..damn the luck

Old 05-01-2010, 10:30 AM
whitebread

I wasnt buying parts to diagnose. I had 2 mechanic friends and a computer helping me out. I replaced the coil pack and plugs n wires. Then the ignition switch, the cam sensor, then the crank sensor. It was when the family dodge mechanic could take the time to help that he told me to return the first part I replaced... the coil pack. Put in the second replacement and started right up. The replacement coil pack was bad out of the box. That was frustrating, but a relief. The answer... I was thinking too much.

Quick Reply: 1998 plymouth neon cranks but doesnt start