1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Noob here needs help plz.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 06:10 AM
tomthedog
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noob here needs help plz.

primer is a type of paint that seals the metal from air and water to keep it from rusting again. there are also "rust incapsulators" like por-15 that you can paint over rust. if you use one of these make sure you paint over them as sunlight can break them down and it will rust again. good luck.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:33 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this helps you out...

[IMG]local://upfiles/33897/9D3E4791AB5E4ACA918564A643DBDE89.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2006, 05:12 PM
p3
Rookie

Hmm thanks that will be my first work on car so scared like hell. Hoping i dont kill the car.

And where can i put freon into the ac using recharge kit? I dont see any inlet for that.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:29 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: p3
Hmm thanks that will be my first work on car so scared like hell. Hoping i dont kill the car.
Bah, the neon is an easy car to work on. Get a Haynes or Chilton's manual to help you out.

ORIGINAL: p3
And where can i put freon into the ac using recharge kit? I dont see any inlet for that.
I don't know on that one, my car has the A/C pulled.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:46 PM
tomthedog
Captain

look near the pass side fender and you will see 2 silver tubesone small and on bigger. take the black cap off the bigger one, this is were you put in the "R134a" NOT freon. freon WILL jack up your a/c system. as you recharge you will have to place a jumper wire on your low press switch to get your compressor to come on. follow the bigger tube to the back of the engine and you will see a silver block. the 2 wire lead going in to the block is the switch. discon the lead and bridge the wires together. this will let you turn on your a/c. if it still don't come on change your a/c relay, in the box behinde the battery. good luck.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 PM
p3
Rookie

ORIGINAL: tomthedog

look near the pass side fender and you will see 2 silver tubesone small and on bigger. take the black cap off the bigger one, this is were you put in the "R134a" NOT freon. freon WILL jack up your a/c system. as you recharge you will have to place a jumper wire on your low press switch to get your compressor to come on. follow the bigger tube to the back of the engine and you will see a silver block. the 2 wire lead going in to the block is the switch. discon the lead and bridge the wires together. this will let you turn on your a/c. if it still don't come on change your a/c relay, in the box behinde the battery. good luck.
WOW Thats like a rocket scientist talking to a genator and explaining how rocket works. [:-]

So here is the left side pic (under the hood). Please explain what those 2 things are is that the ac inet? Andwhat u mean " place a jumper wire on your low press switch to get your compressor to come on" what jumper wire and whats a low press switch ?

Well couldnt attach file so please go to : http://www.sbclansite.com/carpics/Le...-Passenger.JPG

Thanks

Old 06-29-2006, 12:43 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran

your best bet would be to take it into a serivce station to get it recharged. If your not sure what any of the components on the a/c system are you could really do some damage. Not to be discouraging but it could save you lots of money in new a/c parts.

Your best place to start out would be to pick up a haynes manual on a neon and read through it. I had never touched a neon before and was able to swap a motor and transmission from one to another just by reading through it. Take your time with stuff. If you are unsure about it read through it again and again till you are confident in it.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:55 AM
p3
Rookie

Well i am not sure where to get that mannual, you got pdf copy of it or is it hardcopy?

Old 06-29-2006, 10:27 AM
spudsterier
Legend

you dont need to jump the pressure switch.....as soon as you start putting in the r134a it will get the pressure from that and then kick on...just turn your a/c on high when charging

Old 06-29-2006, 11:21 AM
tomthedog
Captain

yes the pic is right, that's the fill point. unscrew the black cap and you will see a valve to hook up the r134. the low press switch keeps your a/c from comming on when you don't have enough press in the system. the a/c also has oil in the lines to lube the compressor. low/no press means low/no oil. if the compressor runs like this it will burn up and sieze, just like your motor. save you form buying a new compressor.

yes, you might be able to recharge without jumping the low press switch (if your sys has more press than mine did). the problem is your compressor will cycle on/off pretty fast ('cause of the switch) putting un-needed stress on the a/c clutch, no fun to change out. the jumper wire completes the circut 'tween the wires that go to your low press switch, allowing you to bypass the low press saftey, letting you turn on your compressor that needs to run to refill the system.

take a small piece of wire about 4 inches long, strip the coating off the ends. put this wire into the connection that you unplug from on top of the silver box next to yout coolant tank, not the prongs that will be sticking out of the box (which is the switch). don't unscrew the switch just pull straigh up on the plug. good luck.

get the book from your local parts store.

Quick Reply: Noob here needs help plz.