1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

tranny stuck in 1st

Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 PM
starik
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny stuck in 1st

The first problem that I had is tranny didn't want to shift to 1st -- would go straight to 2nd when moving from a stop. However the car was driving "fine" even at highway speeds.

So i put the selector into 1, and sure enough, now it stuck in 1st and I cannot get it out of there. THe engine roars and tranny doesn't shift up. I had fluid and filter changed in March.

Darn it, I should've left it like it was -- at least the car was drivable!

The car has about 100,000 miles. My questions is what now -- try to take it to shop for a fix , or replace the tranny with a later model i.e. from 98. (Mine is 96). I looked
around and a suitable tranny is $200

Old 07-20-2006, 02:13 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Default RE: tranny stuck in 1st

Why not go for the tranny. If its from a junkyard they usually give a 30 day money back if it doesn't work.

G/L

Old 07-20-2006, 04:21 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: tranny stuck in 1st

all oils including ATF have what is called a detergent package (kind of like soap) that helps keep the part they are lube'n clean. these last only so long. with ATX's the package wears out and sluge builds up. change the ATF and the new ATF starts breaking up the sluge into chunks. the chuncks have two places to go. your filter or your valves. OR it could just be your shift links?

you may get lucky with a filter change, but the prob most likely will come back. with the used tranny the same thing might happen. i have never had to get a used tranny so i have no referance to go from. write back and good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tranny stuck in 1st