1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Calling all help.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:58 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all help.....

Well I was driving home, car was running best ive ever scene it, then pull on to my road and car seemed like it was running on 3 cyl, then oil light popped on for a second.

Parked it, zero oil in the engine.

It was all underneath. I put more oil in and the valve were ticking pretty good for abit but settled down. The oil is streaming off the oil filter, but its coming from up top.

I posted 2 pictures and the oil is coming somewhere from the head. Im guessing camshaft seal? Need some help. Thanks a bunch.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18046/DEB8E330AA4F4A2286F83F7FBD966E8D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18046/F11B63AE50B24ED4B0FE30A2596AFEA4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Default RE: Calling all help.....

The oil is coming from this general area.

Sorry for pic resolution, camera phone.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18046/F02A1BD2E51A4A84B1A5E4F9364BE1EE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18046/4D60A044164F4091AE64F9D0AAA13B28.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-11-2006, 10:38 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

are there any other symptoms? you should have had a nice cloud of smoke with all the oil on top like that which leads me to believe that you could have possibly blown your oil switch, im not sure though but that is a cause if you had the smoke cloud going, I speak on that from experience when my head blew my oil switch went with it and i had a nice cloud of smoke going, the oil also could have came from the cam as a lot of people seem to have a leak around that area. good Luck and i hope some of that was helpfull!!

Old 10-11-2006, 10:46 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran

There is no smoke at all. Kinda thankful for that, but it appears the oil is coming from the cam.

When you start it up, you can seem oil start to spin with the cam through the little peep hole.

Im assuming im in over my head..

Old 10-11-2006, 11:13 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran

Well I know ill get flamed for this, but how bad is it to keep the timing belt and tensioner on there till I can afford to replace that.

And right now just replace that camshaft seal??

I Know its not adviseable, but anything I should check when I tear into it? CRacks and such?

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah im pretty sure its your cam seal...
you can keep the timing crap on there, but you are gonna wanna keep a close eye on it and not beat on the car very much...once you remove the timing belt and then put it back on you may damage the internal steel belts....there isnt any way to get the 140ish bucks to get a new timing set???? i know money is sumtimes difficult to come by, but you cant find sumone to borry it from???? it might be easier to come across the 140 now then 1000 or more later.....just a thought

Old 10-12-2006, 12:04 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

I know what you mean man. JUst got a new job last week to pay for the suspension bill. Struts, tie rod ends, mounts everywhere, bushings, uhh big bill still being paid off. The timing stuff would wait maybe 2 months maximum. Then it could be afforded with ease.

But thanks again spud.

Timing belt, tensioner, and water pump right?

Old 10-12-2006, 12:42 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

yeah we can all feel ya on that one, money gets tight sometimes and gets tighter when a car comes in to play, just try not to wait to long, because once that timing goes then your looking at some bad valves and that plus everything else is gona be hella costly, good luck !!

Old 10-13-2006, 11:08 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran

Well I can manage the belt now, i had an old pushrod in the garage i sold lol, im sure the water pump caqn blow whenevr it wants, and can you grease or lube up the tensioner some how??

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:41 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

actually yes, there ae two methods that I know of. the first one being to buy some of that belt sqeal stuff that you can get from any autopart store or major chain store like walmart. or the less costly and just as effective method of using a bar of soap. just take a bar break it into a good size to where you can rub some on the pulley doesnt matter which brand of soap just dont use liquid soap. and that water pump is gona suck when it goes, just make sure to drive it as little as possible and to keep water with you if you absolutly have to drive the car. there are ways to hold the water pump a little longer and that is to buy some type of sealant for the water pump. but keep in mind that using sealants for the cooling system could lead to a blocked rad or a corroded one which they wont put on the back up the label, plus that funny smell they omit but it does help some good luck !!

Quick Reply: Calling all help.....