1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Doesn't Make Any Sense!!! Timing Belt!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 06:25 PM
95_dohc_mtx
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doesn't Make Any Sense!!! Timing Belt!

Alrite.... So my tensioner and idler pulley totally disinigrated and my timing belt jumped like 4 or 5 teeth... so i put a new timing belt, and new pulleys in it, everything is lined up PERFECTLY!! I get everything back together and perfect... and i start it up and it idles pretty rough... so we take it for a cruise and my CEL comes on and gives me a code 11..... and when i go to shift it takes a while for the RPM's to drop down.... I have no idea what it could possibly be, because the timing is dead on... and it just doesn't make any sense... I pulled my camshaft sensor off.... how do u tell if it's bad...and does anyone know what the heck is goin on with my damn DOHC!?! Just gettin to be a headache now lol. Thanks

Old 10-12-2006, 07:12 PM
NEONRT98
All Star
Default RE: Doesn't Make Any Sense!!! Timing Belt!

Well generally when your timing belt does that, its ugly on the head. Willing to bet you have one - if not more - bent valves! Only thing I would suggest take off the head a check the valves, bet you have a few bent ones!

Old 10-12-2006, 08:10 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, 99.9% chance its atleast one bent valve.....if it can drive a little then its probally only one valve, but maybe 2

Old 10-13-2006, 05:41 AM
95_dohc_mtx
Rookie

But the compression test checked out AWESOME...so if it had a bent valve even if it was just a little bent... it would leak.. the air... or the numbers would be low....so how would that be even possible...????

Old 10-13-2006, 06:56 AM
95_dohc_mtx
Rookie

OK well me and my buddy just went and checked the timing...everything's perfect....re-checked the compression and did a leakdown test...everything checked out fine there... well then we started it up with the camshaft sensor plugged in and it ran like ****... then unplugged it and no difference with both idleing, sound, and revving it up. So it HAS to be the camshaft sensor.. i don't know what else it could be!!! Any idea/opinions?? $44 for camshaft position sensor at napa i just checked online.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:26 AM
spudsterier
Legend

well if you unplug it and there is no difference then the chances are thats your problem.....thats how i found out one of my fuel injecors was bad on my old car......its worth a shot

if thats the case then congradulations, you are one of the 2% that havent messed up any valves when breaking a timing belt

Old 10-13-2006, 12:23 PM
das2123
Legend

Whats your compression numbers? And I agree that if you unplugged the Camshaft sensor and it ran the same, then that could be the problem. Gotta junkyard where you can pull the sensor from?

Old 10-14-2006, 12:14 AM
95_dohc_mtx
Rookie

Yes, i have a junkyard bout 13 miles down the road from me that i used to work at. But at autozone it's like $39 bucks and i jus got paid today so i may as well jus get a new one. But i'm wondering if i should get the magnet thing that's held on by the torque screw under the cover??? Or would that be pointless ?? I've gotta pick up a set of sparkplug wires also.. Oh and another question... what's the big deal with running the platinum spart plugs in our motors??? Cuz when i got it i got some platinum spark plugs and that was b4 i had been on these forums..... thanks!

Old 10-14-2006, 01:42 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 95_dohc_mtx

Yes, i have a junkyard bout 13 miles down the road from me that i used to work at. But at autozone it's like $39 bucks and i jus got paid today so i may as well jus get a new one. But i'm wondering if i should get the magnet thing that's held on by the torque screw under the cover??? Or would that be pointless ?? I've gotta pick up a set of sparkplug wires also.. Oh and another question... what's the big deal with running the platinum spart plugs in our motors??? Cuz when i got it i got some platinum spark plugs and that was b4 i had been on these forums..... thanks!
Simply put, the platinum plugs make the neon run like a **** heap. Don't do it, stock champion plugs will provide the same performance for 1\4 the price.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:32 AM
spudsterier
Legend

i had bosch platnum 2's in my last car and they worked the best of any plugs i ever used....but in my car now i just have the champions....i just never figure the champions are whats supposed to be in there, so thats what im gonna use from now on

Quick Reply: Doesn't Make Any Sense!!! Timing Belt!