1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

power steering/ a/c issue in the wet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 06:27 PM
ghoward81
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering/ a/c issue in the wet?

I've recently discovered an interestin issue in my 1998 dodge neon (2 litre SOHC ATX, just under 70000 miles) When driving in the wet where there's a lot of spray on the roads the power steering occasionally locks out (leaving me with steering but no power assisted steering) for a few seconds, i've tested this and it only seems to happen when the a/c compressor is working. when i turn the a/c off completely and then on again it sorts itself out and i get power steering back. This is a bit of an issue because living in a rain ridden country (England) i can't have a car that doesn't work properly in the rain!

I know the a/c compressor and the power steering work off the same belt, i had all belts tightened about a month ago after the airconditioning compressor was squeaking upon activation due to a loose belt. The main alternator belt (not the a/c and powersteering belt) was also changed as was the crankshaft pulley wheel. Could this be the belts need tightening again or is it something to do with the compressor or perhaps the compressor clutch? The a/c itself appears to be working okay, when it's run i am getting ice cold air coming through. It's recently had a major service, checked the power steering fluid levels.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

grant

Old 10-22-2006, 06:53 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran
Default RE: power steering/ a/c issue in the wet?

thats kinda strange, sorry I dont have any answers for you, but maybe its a failing pump? Im not sure how the ac works in to the equation though

Old 10-22-2006, 11:58 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what usually happens is the water splashes on the crank pulley and just makes the belts slip.....everything is still turning, but the belt doesnt grip.......
im assuming you dont have the little splash shield on the passenger side under the motor.....
only way i can think to try and fix it is to get new belts

Old 10-23-2006, 06:24 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

i have the same problem, sheild in place, tightened the belt and it quit

Quick Reply: power steering/ a/c issue in the wet?