DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-general-discussion-non-tech-145/)
-   -   Best engine ever built (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-general-discussion-non-tech/352868-best-engine-ever-built.html)

Sniper X 04-09-2013 11:47 AM

Best engine ever built

I think there were MANY but will first mention what I know to be one of them. The M30B34, it was in many 1980s BMW cars. It is the 3.5l straight six. The 3.3 was great too. I have seen a majority of these engines go over 300K miles, and some are at 500K and still running strong. I also have a BMW 535i Dinan and it ONLY has 185K on it but will still smoke the tyres OFF in first, and into second. It will still do 0~60 in under 6 seconds, and will top out at 145 and this is a 4 door luxury car! I had another one that had 385K on it when I sold it and it was still running smooth as silk and had great power left.

Another is the L88 in my old 1969 Yenko Chevelle SS. I had that car from about 1975 till 1985 when I sold it. It had under 100K on it when I sold it but still ran as strong as the first day I got it. It had over 450hp and it showed. I use to take it to redline every day multiple times a day too. As in I never babied it. The guy who bought it still has it and still drives it and it has 200K on it now.

crazzywolfie 04-09-2013 12:14 PM

there is so many good engines it is really hard to choose just 1. my dad has a 4.9 straight 6 in his 95 f150 and it has been pretty reliably even though most of the parts around it have not been. his truck can even get 21mpg with it which make the new eco boost pieces of crap look like a joke.

any pre 90's dodge truck engines are built pretty good. just keep the oil topped up and they will run forever.

Sniper X 04-09-2013 03:04 PM

I'll of course add the Dodge 318 as one of the best ever. I have seen tons of them go many hundreds of thousands of miles all while being worked real hard.

crazzywolfie 04-09-2013 03:30 PM

if your going to ad the 318 i'll add the slant 6. one of the toughest engines out there that are super reliable stock because of there very low compression ratio but can be built to put out a fair bit of power.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...e/viewall.html

Deadsquiggles 04-09-2013 07:21 PM

7.3 powerstroke. Take care of it and you can get a million miles out of them.

crazzywolfie 04-09-2013 07:40 PM

that is the problem though. you could say the exact same thing about any engine. if you take care of pretty much any engine they will last forever. now engines with engines like the slant 6 i have heard stories about people driving them for hours without oil in them before they would blow.

dodge dude94 04-09-2013 08:30 PM

*in before the Cummins*

Cummins 12 valve. :icon_teeth:

wontacceptthis 04-09-2013 09:12 PM

I think this is a lot harder than saying what the worst engine is. Is the best engine the fastest? The cheapest? The most reliable? Best all around?

Of course, since this is dodgeforum after all, the 6bt cummins and the old 318 are going to get lots of love, along with the leaning tower of power.

I'd like to say the 318, but I'm biased. I love my truck and I love it's motor, but I haven't really tried to ask as much from any other motor I've been around.It's been overheated, overworked, over-revved, experienced enough detonation to shatter a sparkplug, and it has drank muddy water and laughed it off.

The 3.0 in my ranger runs like a timex with 222,000 miles on it, but aside from far-too-long oil change intervals, it has hardly been worked a day in its life, and has always had reasonably good maintenance, and never been overheated or anything.

For now, I'll say the 318 due to it's love for use (*abuse*) coupled with decent enough performance and potential for economy, but I admit that there is a good possibility that I am simply unaware of better answers.

Sniper X 04-18-2013 05:49 PM

could be a combination of some or all those really depending on what others feel.

cyclone429 04-20-2013 12:44 PM

Small block Chevy V/8, for the numbers built and support from the aftermarket.

For my personal choice, a 302 ford small block.

I have never ever been a fan of the slant 6 dodge engine, or the ford 4.9 stright 6, they do run for ever and ever, But thats just because you need all the time in the world to get where your going.