1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Who all has a CB radio in their truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Sniper X
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who all has a CB radio in their truck?

I have one in my commuter car, and one in my truck. I also am a HAM radio operator so also have a 2m rig in the truck. CB comes and goes in popularity, but has come back strong since the big Obama weapons ban scare and the prolific move to being prepared. As well the sales of 2m~70cm HAM radios, and licensing has gone WAY up. Personally I have always been into having a CB in my vehicles ever since my first car in 1974 so I just never got out of it. Anyone else have a Cb or HAm radios in their rigs?

Old 05-14-2013, 09:40 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

none here but i can tell that both my 81 and 93 had them at one point. 81 has holes in the roof from where it was mounted and wires ran and i found a old broken cb antenna wire in the 93.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Comrade General
Captain

I dont yet but I plan on it soon

Old 05-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Sniper X
Captain

It is great to have a CB in the truck for many reasons. I have saved countless hours by being able to go round bad traffic by hearing about them before I am sitting behind them on the freeway, and when out on the trail, or hunting or fishing, all my buddies also have them so we remain in contact or get in contact.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Mr.Clean27320
Rookie

I have a CB in my Jeep that I drive everyday and one in my house. I have two that I do not have hooked up right now. One is for my sons truck and the other is going in my 72 W100. Here is a picture of my house set up.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:11 PM
nighthawk10mm

I have one in my truck but it will not stay caliberated for some reason so I plan on changing it out for a newer one since it is about 15-20 years old. Any suggestions on what a good replacement would be?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a cobra 29 LTD classic in my 2nd gen.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want a CB. But can't figure out where to mount it or how to run the antenna wire to where it wouldn't cause a problem.

Off topic...I've got a Uniden Bearcat 800mhz radio scanner at my disposal...that picks up little CB traffic. Is is possible the CB operators have their channels "blocked"?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:46 AM
nighthawk10mm

Mine is mounted to the knee panel in the center, the wire is routed through the firewall down under the chassis and up through the bed. The antenna is mounted to the base of my headache rack up in the driver side front corner. The top of your bed rail is a good spot but with that you need a 3' antenna to get up and over the cab.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Mr.Clean27320
Rookie

nighthawk10mm what want stay caliberated? The SWRs or your
frequency? Your SWRs should not change so I am going to take it you are talking about the
frequency. I had one that In the
frequency set screw I had to put some wax in it to make it stay put.

The cb that I have in my Jeep and I really have grown to like is a Cobra 75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount CB Radio with SoundTracker® and NOAA Weather.

All the shops that I have talked to about it say that you can not turn them up but, I turned it up. Took it to the shop that I did most my bussiness with and let them recheck it. They wanted to know now I did it. It was factory 4 watts dead key and would swing only 6.5 watts. After I turned it up it had a dead key of 3 watts and would swing 18 watts. I use a Wilson Little Wil antenna with it. One thing I like about is everything is in your hand and easy to use and see. Also, I like that it has weather channles on it and a scan feature. They are not too cheap cause they go for about $100. Dont want to sound like I am saing they are the best. I really like the Cobra 29 and think for the money you cant beat them cause you can do so nuch to them. But, if you dont have much room to mount a cb this one works very well.

Quick Reply: Who all has a CB radio in their truck?