1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stuck brake caliper piston!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 PM
2young2drive
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck brake caliper piston!!

went to put new brakes on my 92 ram D150 and now ive got them off, but i cant compress the piston on the caliper. any ingenious ways of compressing it? ive tried a c clamp and the clapm bent, i straightened it a couple times, but the clamp keeps benfin before the piston moves. help please

Old 04-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: stuck brake caliper piston!!

remove the master cylider cover*.

then use a C clamp or huge channel locks (be carefull) and slowly compress it back.

let us know !

* with master cylinder cover on, you cause a back presure with no place to go. fluid will spill out.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM
2young2drive

gracias for the reply, but sadly this was already tried and yes i found the pressure, but to no avail did it help.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:21 PM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try opening the bleeder.
Compress the caliper in the very center.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:27 AM
PushnFords
Professional

If a caliper is hard to compress it usually means there is rust inside and it needs replaced. If it is hard to press in with a C clamp then it won't release as much as it should while driving and will either wear the brake pads out fast on that side or cause the brakes to pull to one side.

When you first try pressing the caliper in I usually put the old pad across the piston so I can press in the middle.

Derek

Old 04-25-2008, 01:54 AM
nemesis_SS
All Star

hey i use the old pad too!
if you open the bleeder and it still wont go back in,the caliper is shot. same goes for taking the lid off the M.Cyl.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 AM
dragonmaster69

from past problems if a brake caliper wont compress replace it. When you do replace it also replace the other side. Alwaysreplace in pairs and then flush the brake system out, if you dont have the tools to do that try taking it to a auto repair place and have them do a brake system fluse. Your barke will thatnk you for that....lol.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:32 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah as said put the old brake pad across the caliper and use the c clamp. If it's still hard to push in replace both sides as they said.

Old 03-23-2023, 12:37 PM
papaman1
Thumbs up Brake problem. Bad Piston. 1999 Dakota

This week I was going to replace my brake pads. I couldn't push the piston completely in to install the pads. After several times taking it apart to ck for corrosion or dirt, I finally took a micrometer and found that the outer part of the piston that touches the pads , was larger than the back diameter of the piston. It was just expanded enough , that I could not push it all the way in.It also had composite piston and not metal. Somehowthe outer part of the piston got expanded and would not let move into the caliper. I'm a retired lifetime tech, and never experienced this problem. Replaced both calipers. Works fine now. Just something I wanted pass on .
Originally Posted by 2young2drive
went to put new brakes on my 92 ram D150 and now ive got them off, but i cant compress the piston on the caliper. any ingenious ways of compressing it? ive tried a c clamp and the clapm bent, i straightened it a couple times, but the clamp keeps benfin before the piston moves. help please

The following users liked this post:
ShootinOK (03-23-2023)

Quick Reply: stuck brake caliper piston!!