1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Battery not charging. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Babarr3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery not charging. Help!

I have an 84 Dodge D150 with a 318, here's my problem. About a month ago my original alternator went out. So I decided to go ahead and replace several of the components as most of the wiring was getting very brittle and I could see some corrosion building on most of the wires. So I replaced the alternator obviously the voltage regulator, the connection and the field wires to the alternator, the negative battery cable, (I have not replaced the positive yet because I cannot find a positive cable with the same connections as my truck) That will be my next thing I replace. After replacing those the truck was fine, well about 2-3 weeks into it my battery quit charging on me again. All I could get OUT of the alternator was about 11.5V... I have checked at the posts of the alternator and through several spots on the way back to the battery and it stays at 11.5V through the whole system so I don't feel I have a bad wire that's causing too much resistance. I have had the battery tested, checks good. I have pulled the alternator off and tested at 2 different places both tested good. I even tried a bigger alternator and had the exact same result. I have swapped out 2 or 3 different regulators and tried those, each with the same result!

Here is one of my concerns, the truck was running fine and I had a C/D player (professionally installed) put in, and shortly after is when I started having problems.. I unhooked the c/d player and tried it and I still had the same result.

Questions: What size ground should I be using for a 60 amp & a 114 amp alternator? Also what gauge power wire should I be using as well?

Things I still plan on trying, replace positive battery cable. I also plan on unhooking the negative cable and putting a test light between the cable and the post to see if anything is drawing on the battery, and start unplugging things until I find out what is drawing power. I need help I am at a loss right now and I'm at my wits end!

Quick Reply: Battery not charging. Help!