1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Long Time No See.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:03 AM
lugnuts
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Long Time No See.....

Haven't been on here in a while. How is everybody? Hope you guys are going to have a good Christmas.

Since I'm the Sandy Claws around my house, I'm bringing myself the stuff to do a little engine swapping. The 440 in my '84 is too thirsty to drive every day, got rid of the wife's '07 Sebring,[hated that car anyhow] which leaves my 4x4 Ramcharger and the company's Ford pickup for us to drive.

I recently bought a '90 single wheel W-350 for the drivetrain, 360/435/205, with 4.10'd D-60's. Only has 82,000 original miles on it, been on propane since new, and the engine is spotless inside. The guy said it ran perfect and used no oil at all, but a pack rat ate all the wiring under the hood and dash, so he just let it sit.

After considering my options, the '90 360's going in the green truck with an 833 4spd behind it, and the 440 is going in the Ramcharger with the 435/205/D-60's. The RC's current 360 is getting pretty worn, it's an old engine I gave $200 for, and while it runs OK, the rear main leaks like a seive. QT of oil about every 500 miles.

Fixin' to order some ceramic coated headers for the small block, need a distributor and intake too. Taking the 750 Holley vacuum sec. off the 440 and putting it on the small block. The irons are in the fire, and my **** is in a sling with the wife. I'll post some pics as I go if you guys want to follow along.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:13 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you should think about keeping the 360 propane powered. those propane powered engines usually outlast the vehicles they are in. i know someone that had a propane powered 350 and it had nearly a million km on it. the only problem is that the bodies rot off. i know the guy still has the 350 in his barn for a future project.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 AM
lugnuts
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered these. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-33500FLT

CW,think I'll just stick with gas, the tank in the W-350 is a 100 gal monster, sticks up above the bed 10", and about 30" in diameter. Take up a lot of room in the little short bed '84 lol.
Power is down on propane, and the '90 360 doesn't make a helluva lot of that anyway. The fuel mileage on propane isn't all that great either, and with propane averaging $2 a gallon it'd be about the same cost as buying gas at $2.36. Then there's the yearly fuel tax sticker I'd have to buy to keep the great State of Texas' money grabbers happy........

Quick Reply: Long Time No See.....