1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

85 d150 Royal SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 02:24 AM
robyoak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 d150 Royal SE

Hello folks, I’ve been around Fords my whole life and new to the Mopar world, so please bear with me. This is probably gonna be long because I have several questions.

My son acquired an 85 D150 Royal SE 2wd short bed. Sweet little truck. 318 auto. He wanted some more HP so he found a smoking deal on a freshly rebuilt LA360 that was still on the engine stand. Sadly the engine builder had passed away and we had zero information on the cam specs etc. (We were told by his brother that the cam was a custom grind 340, whatever that means) All we really knew was the guy knew his way around Mopars and that it would most definitely be a quality build.

So we get the engine in and mated to the original 318 trans (we did install the weight on the TC for the external balance 360) and it turns out it has a pretty healthy cam, enough to where we’re gonna need a stall converter. So here’s my dilemma and a couple questions I have:

1. How do I identify this transmission? I’ve had several different people tell me several different things. (904, 998, 999). The only thing I know for sure is that it is a lockup transmission and we’re pretty sure it’s not a 727 (everybody has seemed to agree on that)

2. Can I get a stall converter compatible with lockup as well? (The ones I’ve looked at says not lockout compatible). I like the idea of having that extra “gear” for highway driving.

Sorry for being so long winded, just trying to be as thorough as possible. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance

By the way, this 360 sounds wicked. Hope it runs as good as it sounds

Last edited by robyoak; 07-30-2023 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 10:30 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Regardless of what you have in there it's only 3 speeds. Consider putting a A500/46RH in and have overdrive. You will have to move the trans mount back and cut the drive shaft but well worth it for overdrive.

Old 07-30-2023, 04:46 PM
robyoak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m well aware I have 3 speeds….and a lockup

Quick Reply: 85 d150 Royal SE